50 & Counting
|Tour by The Rolling Stones|
|Start date||25 October 2012|
|End date||13 July 2013|
|Number of shows||
|Box office||$148.9 million ($151.26 million in 2016 dollars)|
|The Rolling Stones concert chronology|
50 & Counting was a concert tour by The Rolling Stones to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the band, which started in October 2012 (with two secret club gigs in Paris) and ended in July 2013 (with two major shows at Hyde Park).
2012 preliminary rehearsals and recording sessions
On 19 May 2012, Mick Jagger hosted and performed on the season finale of Saturday Night Live. The Rolling Stones then made their first public appearance in over four years on 12 July 2012, at the Marquee Club in London to commemorate the 50th anniversary of their first ever concert. They also published a book entitled The Rolling Stones: 50 as well as a documentary, Crossfire Hurricane, released on 15 November 2012 on HBO. The documentary included interviews from all six of the living band members.
In October and November 2012, they conducted rehearsals for their 50th anniversary concerts. The rehearsals for the 2012 tour took place in Bondy near Paris, France (in a rehearsal studio named Planet Live) and in London, England at the Wembley Arena for the 2012 shows. On 12 November 2012, they released GRRR!, a greatest hits compilation album that included the two new songs from the August recording sessions: "Doom And Gloom" (previously released as a single on 11 October 2012) and "One More Shot".
On 15 October 2012, they announced their first shows: two at the O2 Arena in London on 25 & 29 November 2012, one at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY on 8 December, and two at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ on 13 & 15 December. The 15 December 2012 show was broadcast in pay-per-view in the United States and many other countries.
Guests were announced, including former members Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor at the two shows in London. At the first London show the band was joined by Mary J. Blige and Jeff Beck. For the second London show, Eric Clapton and Florence Welch appeared. The guests for the Brooklyn show were Mary J. Blige and Gary Clark, Jr.. Mick Taylor appeared at both Newark shows. John Mayer performed at the first Newark show, while Bruce Springsteen, Lady Gaga and The Black Keys were the guests at the second night in Newark.
The Rolling Stones played two secret shows in Paris in October 2012. They also participated on 12 December 2012 in the 12-12-12: The Concert for Sandy Relief performing a brief set of "You Got Me Rocking" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash".
On 3 April 2013, through their website, they announced more concerts as part of the 50 & Counting... tour: a Spring 2013 North American tour of 18 arena concerts with the addition of a surprise club show at the Echoplex in Los Angeles, CA on 27 April 2013 where they were rehearsing.
The rehearsals for the 2013 tour took place in Burbank, United States at Center Staging for the 2013 shows.
After the last American concert on 24 June 2013 at the Verizon Center in Washington, DC, the Stones returned to England to headline the Glastonbury Festival on 29 June 2013 (the band's first time ever participation in the festival).
On 6 & 13 July 2013, they performed two shows at Hyde Park, 44 years after the 1969 performance and 51 years after their first ever gig (12 July 1962) at the Marquee Club then situated on Oxford Street, only a mile from the Hyde Park venue.
After the second Hyde Park concert, the band had a birthday celebration for Mick Jagger who turned 70 on 26 July 2013. The two Hyde Park shows were used for the live album Hyde Park Live as well as the concert film Sweet Summer Sun: Live in Hyde Park released 11 November 2013.
On 3 December 2013, The Rolling Stones announced the 14 On Fire tour, a follow-up to the 50 & Counting... tour, due to start in February 2014 and visit the Middle East and Asia, Europe in summer 2014, and Australia in the fall 2014.
This set list is representative of the show on 3 May 2013. It does not represent all concerts for the duration of the tour.
- "Get Off Of My Cloud"
- "The Last Time"
- "It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)"
- "Paint It Black"
- "Gimme Shelter"
- "Wild Horses" (with Gwen Stefani)
- "Factory Girl"
- "Emotional Rescue"
- "Respectable" (with Keith Urban)
- "Doom and Gloom"
- "One More Shot"
- "Honky Tonk Women"
- "Before They Make Me Run"
- "Midnight Rambler"
- "Miss You"
- "Start Me Up"
- "Tumbling Dice"
- "Brown Sugar"
- "Sympathy for the Devil"
|25 October 2012||Paris||France||Le Trabendo||N/A||N/A|
|29 October 2012||Théâtre Mogador|
|25 November 2012||London||England||The O2||31,755 / 31,755||$17,100,700|
|29 November 2012|
|8 December 2012||New York City||United States||Barclays Center||14,471 / 14,471||$7,297,560|
|12 December 2012[a]||Madison Square Garden||N/A||N/A|
|13 December 2012||Newark||Prudential Center||27,476 / 27,476||$14,288,750|
|15 December 2012|
|27 April 2013[b]||Los Angeles||Echoplex||N/A||N/A|
|3 May 2013||Staples Center||28,313 / 28,313||$9,933,548|
|5 May 2013||Oakland||Oracle Arena||14,133 / 14,133||$5,068,993|
|8 May 2013||San Jose||HP Pavilion at San Jose||12,803 / 12,803||$4,507,648|
|11 May 2013||Las Vegas||MGM Grand Garden Arena||13,327 / 13,327||$6,119,172|
|15 May 2013||Anaheim||Honda Center||26,579 / 26,579||$8,163,662|
|18 May 2013|
|20 May 2013||Los Angeles||Staples Center||[c]||[c]|
|25 May 2013||Toronto||Canada||Air Canada Centre||31,149 / 31,149||$11,526,570|
|28 May 2013||Chicago||United States||United Center||43,763 / 43,763||$16,524,615|
|31 May 2013|
|3 June 2013|
|6 June 2013||Toronto||Canada||Air Canada Centre||[d]||[d]|
|9 June 2013||Montreal||Bell Centre||14,654 / 14,654||$4,299,296|
|12 June 2013||Boston||United States||TD Garden||24,277 / 24,277||$7,577,375|
|14 June 2013|
|18 June 2013||Philadelphia||Wells Fargo Center||29,894 / 29,894||$9,245,276|
|21 June 2013|
|24 June 2013||Washington DC||Verizon Center||14,404 / 14,404||$4,529,226|
|29 June 2013[e]||Pilton||England||Worthy Farm||N/A||N/A|
|6 July 2013||London||Hyde Park||130,000 / 130,000||$22,686,623|
|13 July 2013|
|Total||456,998 / 456,998||$148,869,014|
The Rolling Stones
- Mick Jagger: lead vocals, guitar, harmonica, percussion, keyboards
- Keith Richards: guitars, vocals
- Ronnie Wood: guitars
- Charlie Watts: drums
- Mick Taylor: guitars
- Darryl Jones: bass guitar, backing vocals
- Lisa Fischer: backing vocals, percussion
- Bobby Keys: saxophone
- Tim Ries: saxophone, keyboards
- Chuck Leavell: keyboards, backing vocals, percussion
- Bernard Fowler: backing vocals, percussion
- The 12 December 2012 concert in New York City is a part of the 12-12-12: The Concert for Sandy Relief.
- The 27 April 2013 concert in Los Angeles is a surprise club show.
- The score data is combined from the shows held at the Staples Center from 3 and 20 May 2013, respectively.
- The score data is combined from the shows held at the Air Canada Centre from 25 May – 6 June 2013, respectively.
- The 29 June 2013 concert in Pilton is a part of the Glastonbury Festival 2013.
- Top 100 North American Mid Year Tours 2013: #1
- Total Gross: US $87.7 million
- Total Attendance: 253,296
- No. of concerts: 18
- Consumer Price Index (estimate) 1800–. Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. Retrieved November 10, 2015.
- They're back!
- THE ROLLING STONES TO PLAY BARCLAYS CENTER ON SATURDAY DECEMBER 8
- 50 AND COUNTING LONDON: SPECIAL GUESTS BILL WYMAN AND MICK TAYLOR
- MARY J BLIGE AND JEFF BECK SPECIAL GUESTS AT TOMORROW NIGHT’S LONDON SHOW
- ERIC CLAPTON AND FLORENCE WELCH TO JOIN THE ROLLING STONES ON STAGE TOMORROW
- MARY J. BLIGE AND GARY CLARK JR. TO JOIN THE ROLLING STONES ON STAGE IN BROOKLYN
- joined the band at the Newark shows MICK TAYLOR TO JOIN THE ROLLING STONES ON STAGE DECEMBER 13 AND DECEMBER 15
- JOHN MAYER TO JOIN THE ROLLING STONES ON STAGE TONIGHT, DECEMBER 13
- Bruce Springsteen, Lady Gaga and the Black Keys to join the Rolling Stones for a live Pay-Per-View special this Saturday
- The Rolling Stones play surprise gig in Paris
- Set List for the Rolling Stones’ secret gig at the Mogador, Paris
- THE ROLLING STONES ANNOUNCED AS PERFORMERS AT "12–12–12" AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN
- The Rolling Stones to play the Glastonbury festival
- The Rolling Stones are back! 50 & Counting... tour hits USA and Canada
- The Rolling Stones back in Hyde Park Saturday 6 July 2013!
- THE ROLLING STONES ANNOUNCE 14 ON FIRE AUSTRALIA / NEW ZEALAND DATES
- Edna Gundersen (4 May 2013). "Pure satisfaction at Rolling Stones L.A. tour launch". USA Today. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "Billboard Boxscore :: Current Scores". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 19 January 2013. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- North America box score:
- "Billboard Boxscore: Current Scores". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 22 May 2013. Archived from the original on 22 May 2013. Retrieved 22 May 2013.
- "Billboard Boxscore :: Current Scores". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 15 June 2013. Archived from the original on 15 June 2013. Retrieved 15 June 2013.
- "Billboard Boxscore :: Current Scores". Billboard (New York City, New York: Prometheus Global Media) 125 (24). 22 June 2013. ISSN 0006-2510. Archived from the original on 17 June 2013. Retrieved 17 June 2013.
- "Billboard Boxscore :: Current Scores". Billboard (New York City, New York: Prometheus Global Media) 125 (27). 13 July 2013. ISSN 0006-2510. Archived from the original on 4 July 2013. Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- "Pollstar Top 100 International Box Office 2013" (PDF). Pollstar. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- "Pollstar Mid Year Top 100 North American Tours 2013" (PDF). Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 23 March 2013.