50th Berlin International Film Festival
|Opening film||The Million Dollar Hotel|
|Closing film||Bossa Nova|
|Awards||Golden Bear (Magnolia)|
|No. of films||240 films|
|Festival date||February 9 – 20, 2000|
The 50th annual Berlin International Film Festival was held from February 9 to 20, 2000. The festival opened with The Million Dollar Hotel by Wim Wenders. Bossa Nova by Bruno Barreto, screened out of competition was the closing film of the festival. The Golden Bear was awarded to American film Magnolia directed by Paul Thomas Anderson.
The retrospective titled Artificial People and dedicated to artificial beings and machines in the films was shown at the festival, screening films like Der Golem and The Terminator. On its 50th anniversary the premieres of the films in competition at the festival moved from Zoo Palast to Theater am Potsdamer Platz located at Potsdamer Platz.
The following people were announced as being on the jury for the festival:
- Gong Li (Head of the Jury)
- Lissy Bellaiche
- Peter W. Jansen
- Jean Pierre Lefebvre
- Marisa Paredes
- Jean-Louis Piel
- Walter Salles
- Maria Schrader
- Andrzej Wajda
Films in competition
|English title||Original title||Director(s)||Country|
|Any Given Sunday||Any Given Sunday||Oliver Stone||USA|
|The Beach||The Beach||Danny Boyle||USA, UK|
|Boy's Choir||独立少年合唱団||Akira Ogata||Japan|
|The Road Home||我的父亲母亲||Zhang Yimou||China|
|The Hurricane||The Hurricane||Norman Jewison||USA|
|Love Me||Love me||Laetitia Masson||France|
|Magnolia||Magnolia||Paul Thomas Anderson||USA|
|Clouds of May||Mayis Sikintisi||Nuri Bilge Ceylan||Turkey|
|The Sea||El mar||Agustí Villaronga||Spain|
|The Million Dollar Hotel||The Million Dollar Hotel||Wim Wenders||USA, UK, Germany|
|Man on the Moon||Man on the Moon||Miloš Forman||USA, UK, Germany, Japan|
|Sky Hook||Небеска удица||Ljubiša Samardžić||Yugoslavia, Italy|
|Paradiso: Seven Days with Seven Women||Paradiso - Sieben Tage mit sieben Frauen||Rudolf Thome||Germany|
|First Light of Dawn||Prime luci dell'alba||Lucio Gaudino||Italy|
|Russkiy bunt||Русский бунт||Aleksandr Proshkin||Russia, France|
|Signs and Wonders||Signs & Wonders||Jonathan Nossiter||France|
|The Legend of Rita||Die Stille nach dem Schuß||Volker Schlöndorff||Germany|
|The Talented Mr. Ripley||The Talented Mr. Ripley||Anthony Minghella||USA|
|Water Drops on Burning Rocks||Gouttes d'eau sur pierres brûlantes||François Ozon||France|
|The Island Tales||有时跳舞||Stanley Kwan||Japan, Hong Kong, China|
|Of Woman and Magic||La chambre des magiciennes||Claude Miller||France|
† Winner of the main award for best film in its section The opening and closing films are screened during the opening and closing ceremonies respectively.
The following prizes were awarded by the Jury:
- Golden Bear: Magnolia by Paul Thomas Anderson
- Silver Bear - Special Jury Prize: The Road Home by Zhang Yimou
- Silver Bear for Best Director: Miloš Forman for Man on the Moon
- Silver Bear for Best Actress: Bibiana Beglau and Nadja Uhl for The Legend of Rita
- Silver Bear for Best Actor: Denzel Washington for The Hurricane
- Silver Bear for an outstanding artistic contribution: ensemble of actors for Paradiso: Seven Days with Seven Women
- Jury Prize: Wim Wenders for The Million Dollar Hotel
- Alfred Bauer Prize: Boy's Choir by Akira Ogata
- Blue Angel Award: The Legend of Rita by Volker Schlöndorff
- Honorary Golden Bear: Jeanne Moreau
- Berlinale Camera:
- FIPRESCI Award
- "PROGRAMME 2000". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 9 June 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "50th Berlin International Film Festival". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2012-10-20.
- "Magnolia Blooms in Berlin". nitrateonline.com. Archived from the original on 10 November 2007. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- "The tension between cinematic vision and life itself". wsws.org. Archived from the original on 25 August 2014. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- "'Magnolia' blooms in Berlin". wsws.org. Archived from the original on 25 June 2007. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- "PRIZES & HONOURS 2000". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 9 June 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "RETROSPECTIVE". Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "Berlinale beginnings". Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "JURIES 2000". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 9 June 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2014.