|Centuries:||5th century – 6th century – 7th century|
|Decades:||490s 500s 510s – 520s – 530s 540s 550s|
|Years:||521 522 523 – 524 – 525 526 527|
|524 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1277|
|Chinese calendar||癸卯年 (Water Rabbit)
3220 or 3160
— to —
甲辰年 (Wood Dragon)
3221 or 3161
|- Vikram Samvat||580–581|
|- Shaka Samvat||446–447|
|- Kali Yuga||3625–3626|
|Iranian calendar||98 BP – 97 BP|
|Islamic calendar||101 BH – 100 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1388 before ROC
|Seleucid era||835/836 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1066–1067|
Year 524 (DXXIV) was a leap year starting on Monday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Iustinus and Opilio (or, less frequently, year 1277 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 524 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- May 1 – King Sigismund of Burgundy is executed at Orléans after an 8-year reign and is succeeded by his brother Godomar. He rallies the Burgundian army and begins plundering Frankish territory.
- June 25 – Battle of Vézeronce: The Franks under Chlodomer, Childebert I and Chlothar I are defeated by the Burgundians and allied Ostrogoths near Isère (France). During the fighting Chlodomer is killed. Later Childebert annexes the cities of Chartres and Orléans.
- Queen Guntheuc, widow of Chlodomer, is forced into marrying Chlothar I. Her two children are murdered by him, but the eldest son Clodoald survives by escaping to Provence.
- Boethius, Roman philosopher, is executed without trial, probably at Pavia, after a prison term during which he has written The Consolation of Philosophy (approximate date).
- November 29 – Ahkal Mo' Naab' I, ruler of the Maya city of Palenque, dies. The city enters an interregnum which lasts a little over four years.
- September 18 – Kan B'alam I, ruler of Palenque (d. 583)
- He Shikai, high official of Northern Qi (d. 571)
- Xiao Daqi, crown prince of Northern Qi (d. 551)
- Xiao Jing Di, emperor of Eastern Wei (d. 552)
- November 29 – Ahkal Mo' Naab' I, ruler of Palenque (Mexico) (b. 465)
- Boethius, Roman philosopher and writer
- Brigit of Kildare, Irish patron saint
- Chlodomer, king of the Franks
- Sigismund, king of the Burgundians
- Zhou She, high official of Southern Liang (b. 469)