58th (Rutlandshire) Regiment of Foot
|58th Regiment of Foot|
|Active||1755 to 1881|
The 58th (Rutlandshire) Regiment of Foot was a British Army line infantry regiment. During the Childers Reforms it was united with the 48th (Northamptonshire) Regiment of Foot to form the Northamptonshire Regiment.
The 58th was formed in 1755 for service during the Seven Years' War. Originally numbered the 60th Regiment of Foot, and bearing the name of its colonel, Robert Anstruther, it was re-numbered in 1757 as the 58th Regiment of Foot. In 1779, during the American War of Independence it was stationed at Gibraltar, taking part in the Great Siege from 1779 to 1783. In 1782 the regiment acquired its county association, becoming the 58th Rutlandshire Regiment.
In 1843 the 58th regiment took over garrison duties in New South Wales from the 80th who had been posted to India. In 1845 it was sent to New Zealand because of Maori unrest in the Bay of Islands after the Treaty of Waitangi. The regiment remained in N.Z. until November 1858 having been in action during the Northern Wars, Wanganui and north of Wellington during 1845–47. On embarkation for England, the regiment consisted of 16 officers and 194 men. Over 300 men of the regiment took discharge in New Zealand.
Battle honours won by the regiment were: 
- Gibraltar 1779-83
- French Revolutionary Wars: Egypt
- Napoleonic Wars: Maida
- Peninsular War: Salamanca, Vittoria, Pyrenees, Nivelle, Orthes, Peninsula
- New Zealand Land Wars: New Zealand 1846–1847
Colonels of the Regiment
Colonels of the Regiment were: 
60th Regiment of Foot
- 1755–1767: Lt-Gen. Robert Anstruther
58th Regiment of Foot - (1756)
- 1767–1775: Gen. The Rt. Hon. Robert Cuninghame, 1st Baron Rossmore, PC
- 1775–1776: Col. Hon. George West
- 1776–1787: Lt-Gen. Lancelot Baugh
58th (Rutlandshire) Regiment of Foot - (1782)
- 1787–1811: Gen. George Scott
- 1811–1823: Gen. Richard Lambart, 7th Earl of Cavan, KC
- 1823–1826: Gen. Thomas Graham, 1st Baron Lynedoch, GCB, GCMG
- 1826–1828: Maj-Gen. Lord Frederick Bentinck, CB
- 1828–1833: Lt-Gen. Sir Kenneth Douglas, 1st Baronet
- 1833–1848: Gen. Frederick Maitland
- 1848–1851: Lt-Gen. Sir George Charles D'Aguilar, KCB
- 1851–1864: Gen. Edward Buckley Wynyard, CB
- 1864–1868: Lt-Gen. Charles Craufurd Hay
- 1868–1870: Maj-Gen. William Sullivan, CB
- 1870–1881: Gen. Sir Arthur Johnstone Lawrence, KCB
- The London Gazette: . 10 December 1808.
- ‘'Houston, Sir William, first baronet (1766–1842)'’, H. M. Chichester, Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, accessed 9 Jan 2013
- Stanley 1986, p. 81.
- "58th (Rutlandshire) Regiment of Foot". Regiments.org. Retrieved 21 July 2016.