5 Canada Square
|5 Canada Square|
|Location||5 Canada Square
|Roof||87.70 m (287.7 ft)|
|Floor area||46,450 m2 (500,000 sq ft)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Skidmore Owings & Merrill|
5 Canada Square was completed in 2003. The steel- framed building has an aluminum curtain wall and it features a large atrium on its south side with 46,450 m2 (500,000 sq ft) of floorspace.
The principal tenant at 5 Canada Square is the European arm and HQ of Bank of America Securities. The building is used for the bank’s global cash-management business for clients. Credit Suisse also occupies part of the building.
In 2003, Royal Bank of Scotland (or RBS) bought 5 Canada Square along with 25 Canada Square, another Canary Wharf building, for a total of £1.1 billion from Canary Wharf, a major property firm that developed the facility. 5 Canada Square was originally leased by Credit Suisse First Boston but after a banking downturn and not needing the space, Credit Suisse let the space to Bank of America.
In July 2007, the building was sold by RBS to Evans Randall, a banking firm, for £452 million, making it the firm’s largest UK investment to date. In 2011, Bank of America chose to renew its lease at 5 Canada Square instead of move to another London location. The building was subsequently sold to St Martins Property Group in January 2013.
- 5 Canada Square at Emporis
- 5 Canada Square at SkyscraperPage
- 5 Canada Square at Structurae
- .Canary Wharf Group website,accessed 10 June 2011, http://www.canarywharf.com/workwithus/Construction/Projects/5-Canada-Square/
- Tom Bill (4 February 2011). "Bank of America Said to Keep Treasury Business at Canary Wharf". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- "Credit Suisse Rents out Surplus Docklands Space". The Independent. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- "Canary Shares Soar on Bid Hopes". BBC News. 5 December 2003. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- "RBS Moves In on Canary Wharf". The Sunday Herald. 7 December 2003. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- "Property Week, Evans Randall £452m Canary Win". Property Week. 27 July 2007. Retrieved 2 March 2013.
- "St Martins buys 5 Canada Square from Evans Randall for close to £385m". CoStar UK. 29 January 2013. Retrieved 21 November 2013.
- Buckley, James (17 March 2016). "Thomson Reuters signs 350,000 sq ft deal to bring all London staff under one roof". CoStar. Retrieved 6 June 2016.