|Produced by||Amal Neerad|
|Screenplay by||Shyam Pushkar|
|Story by||M. Mukundan|
|Music by||Gopi Sundar|
Yakzan Gary Pereira
Black Letters (promo)
|Edited by||Vivek Harshan |
|Distributed by||August Cinema|
5 Sundarikal (English: Five Beautiful Women) is a 2013 Malayalam romantic anthology film. It contains five short stories on love about five types of women. The stories are directed by Shyju Khalid, Sameer Thahir, Aashiq Abu, Amal Neerad and Anwar Rasheed, and feature an ensemble cast. The film was produced by Amal Neerad Productions. The music directors were Gopi Sundar, Bijibal, Prashant Pillai and Yakzan Gary Pereira. The film reached theatres on 21 June. A promo song by popular Kochi-based rock band Black Letters was also released.
The featurette Sethulakshmi is an adaptation of M. Mukundan's short story "Photo" while Kullande Bharya is based on a Chinese story, "The Tall Woman and Her Short Husband", by Feng Jicai. It is narrated by Dulquer Salmaan.
List of short films
|Sethulakshmi||Shyju Khalid||M. Mukundan||Shyam Pushkaran
|Alby||Yakzan Gary Pereira|
|Isha||Sameer Thahir||Sijoy varghese||Siddharth Bharathan
|Shyju Khalid||Prashant Pillai|
|Gauri||Aashiq Abu||Amal Neerad
|Abhilash Kumar||Rajeev Ravi||Bijibal|
|Kullante Bharya||Amal Neerad||Feng Jicai||Unni R.||Renu (renadive)||Gopi Sundar|
|Aami||Anwar Rasheed||Hashir Mohamed||Hashir Mohamed||Amal Neerad||Santhosh Narayan|
Sethulakshmi (Baby Anikha), a schoolgirl, has a hobby of collecting the photos of newly married couples from newspapers and pasting them in a notebook. Her close friend (Chethan Jayalal) comes to know about her interest in taking photos. They decide to go to a studio nearby for taking their photos. Sethulakshmi is molested by the photographer. .
The short film tells the love story of a married couple living in a hill station. After materializing their love affair through register marriage, Gauri (Kavya Madhavan) and Jonathan Antony (Biju Menon) choose the place to begin their married life. Jo is crazy about trekking while Gauri is a dancer and teaches the art to her students. On the eve of their wedding anniversary, a tragedy occurs which changes their life.
A newlywed couple comes to stay in an apartment. The husband played by Jinu Ben who is only 5 feet 1 inches is shorter than his extremely tall wife played by the 6 feet tall young newcomer Reenu Mathews. This gives a chance to their neighbours to gossip about them. As the couple lives happily, they expect their baby to add to the joy. But destiny has something else in store for them. The whole film is pictured from the point of view of a person who is bed-ridden after an accident (played by Dulquer Salmaan). It is reminiscent of the photographer in wheelchair observing his neighbors in Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window.
A businessman, Ajmal (Fahadh Faasil), faces a row of events during his journey from Malappuram to Kochi. His affectionate wife (Asmita Sood) tries to keep him awake during the drive by asking a few tricky questions. The night journey becomes an eventful one and changes the course of his life...
- Baby Anikha as Sethulakshmi
- Master Chethan Jayalal as Abhilash
- Guru Somasundaram as Photographer
- Gopalakrishnan as Achan
- Anjali Aneesh Upasana as Amma
- Unnimaya as Teacher
- Baby Aavani as sister
- Isha Shervani as Isha
- Nivin Pauly as Jinu/Santa
- Deepak Sharaf as Teresa's father
- Sujatha as Teresa's mother
- Pradeep as Police Constable
- Rajasekhar V. Das as Dealer
- Lal (actor) as Benson
- Praveen Prem as Alberop
- Sreejith Vijay as Devanu
- K. B. Ganesh Kumar
- Kavya Madhavan as Gauri
- Biju Menon as Jonathan Antony
- Shine Tom Chacko as Servant
- Tini Tom
- Rimi Tomy
- Jayasurya as buyer
- Theodore Tiommy as Dishanthan
- Halalman Griffo as Ajindan
- Reenu Mathews as Kullante Bharya
- Dulquer Salman as Injured stunt
- Dileesh Pothen as Security
- Soubin Shahir
- Muthumani as Sicily
- Pauly Valsan as Molly Chechi
- Mano Jose as Sugunan
- Shirly Somasundaran as Annamma Chacko
- Jayaraj as Chacko Mash
- Sankar T. K. as Sicily's husband
- Ajith Vijayan as Ambiswamy
- Shanthi Sunil as Ambiswamy's wife
- Karan Rahul as Schoolboy
- Asmita Sood as Aami
- Fahadh Fazil as Ajmal
- Honey Rose as Nancy
- Chemban Vinod Jose as Joshy
- Vinayakan as Chandran
- Ravi Prakash as Santhosh
- Hemanth Menon as Satheesh
- Devan (actor) as Rainbow Ruby
The first film Sethulakshmi was by cinematographer Shyju, debuting as a director. The film was an adaptation of the story "Photo" by M. Mukundan. Two child artists, Baby Anikha and Chethan, played the lead in his segment. Tamil theatre actor Somasundaram, who acted in Aaranya Kaandam, was signed to play a photographer in the film, setting foot into Malayalam films.
Sameer Thahir cast Isha Sharvani opposite Nivin Pauly in his segment. Isha, who made her Malayalam debut with this film, said that Sameer's story - written by Sijoy Varghese - explores the love between two strangers. This segment was completed in January 2013.
Aashiq Abu's featurette Gauri (earlier titled Naayika) is period film about a group of people going in search of a promised land. Biju Menon and Kavya Madhavan were signed to play the lead. Singer Rimi Tomy stated that she would be acting opposite Tini Tom, making her acting debut. In March 2013, Jayasurya was also signed up for a role. The shoot of the portion was held in Munnar and other locales.
Amal Neerad cast Dulquer Salmaan and Reenu Mathews, who acted in Lal Jose's Immanuel, as the lead pair for his portion. Debutante Jinu Ben was given a prominent role. Neerad said that the story was loosely based on an ancient Chinese short story, "The Tall Woman and Her Short Husband".
Fahadh Faasil stated that he and Rima Kallingal would pair up in Anwar Rasheed's segment of the anthology. Rima Kallingal was replaced, and Honey Rose and Asmita Sood play the lead female roles in this film. Anwar said that the story unfolds on an eventful night and can be called a road movie.
The directors pitched in for each other as well. Anwar Rasheed's portion was filmed by Amal Neerad, Shyju Kahlid handled the camera of Sameer Thahir's film, Aashiq Abu's film was shot by Rajeev Ravi and Amal Neerad chose his assistant Ranadive to operate the camera.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Gopi Sundar,Yakzan Gary Pereira, Bijibal, Prashant Pillai chronology|
The list of songs is as follows:
|1||"Amor Amor"||Kullande Bharya||Anna Katharina Valayil||Gopi Sunder|
|2||"Ekantham"||Title Song||Kunal Ganjawala,Sreya Raghav||Gopi Sunder||Theme song|
Lyrics: Rafeeq Ahamed
|3||"Kaana Dhooram"||Aami||Neha Nair||Yakzan Gary Pereira||Lyrics: Neha Nair|
|4||"Manthara Katte"||Sethulakshmi||Neha Nair||Yakzan Gary Pereira||Lyrics: Rafeeq Ahamed|
|5||"Mazhaneer"||Gauri||Gayatri Asokan||Bijibal||Lyrics: Sunil Raj Sathya|
|6||"Thammil Thammil"||Isha||Preeti Pillai||Prashant Pillai||Lyrics:Kavalam Narayana Panikkar|
|7||"Theera Lahari"||Isha||Preeti Pillai||Prashant Pillai||Lyrics: Kavalam Narayana Panikkar|
- Liza George (6 February 2013). "A bit of luck and destiny". The Hindu. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- "Biju Menon and Kavya Madhavan in Aashiq Abu's next". The Times of India. Indiatimes.com. 18 January 2013. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- "Anchu Sundharikal: An anthology of love stories". IBN Live. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- "The spotlight is on women in Mollywood". The Times of India. Indiatimes.com. 8 March 2013. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- "Five directors team up for 'Anchu Sundarikal'". Sify.com. 3 September 2012. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- Vijay George (30 May 2013). "Fab 5". The Hindu. Retrieved 4 September 2013.
- "5 sundarikal shifted from June 14 - Malayalam Movie News". Indiaglitz.com. 6 June 2013. Retrieved 4 September 2013.
- "Anchu sundarikal - black letters ost". YouTube. 21 June 2013. Retrieved 4 September 2013.
- "Anchu Sundarikal Review". Timescity.com. Retrieved 4 September 2013.
- News, Express (22 May 2013). "Unreeling spools of two-decade-old friendship". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 4 September 2013.
- "'5 Sundarikal' to release on June 14!". Archived from the original on 15 September 2015. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- "In pursuit of recognition". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "I've proved myself as an actress: Isha Sharvani". The Times of India. Indiatimes.com. 9 January 2013. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- "Isha is all praise for Nivin". The Times of India. Indiatimes.com. 18 January 2013. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- "Rimi to dazzle on silver screen". Deccan Chronicle. 12 March 2013. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- "Rimi Tomy to make her film debut with Anju Sundarikal". The Times of India. Indiatimes.com. 17 March 2013. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- "Jayasurya in Aashiq Abu's Naayika". The Times of India. Indiatimes.com. 9 March 2013. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- "Dulquer, Reenu in Amal Neerad's 'Anju Sundarikal'". The Times of India. Indiatimes.com. 9 February 2013. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- "Rima, Fahadh in Anwar Rasheed's love anthology". The Times of India. Indiatimes.com. 12 February 2013. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- Athira M. (23 January 2013). "Shot Cuts". The Hindu. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- 5 Sundarikal on IMDb
- "An English translation of M. Mukundan's Photo" (appeared in Malayalam Fiction Special edition of Guftugu)
- Five star experiment (The Hindu)
- Stories from the heart (The New Indian Express)
- Review (Malayala Manorama)
- Review (Sify.com)
- Review (Rediff.com) ()
- Review (Nowrunning.com) ()