Promotional poster of the film.
|Directed by||Shyju Khalid
|Produced by||Amal Neerad|
|Screenplay by||Shyam Pushkar
|Story by||M. Mukundan
|Music by||Gopi Sundar
Yakzan Gary Pereira
Black Letters (Promo)
|Edited by||Vivek Harshan
5 Sundarikal (English: Five Beautiful Women) is a 2013 Malayalam romantic anthology film. It contains five short stories on love about five types of women. The stories are directed by Shyju Khalid, Sameer Thahir, Aashiq Abu, Amal Neerad and Anwar Rasheed, and feature an ensemble cast. The film was produced by Amal Neerad Productions. The music directors are Gopi Sundar, Bijibal, Prashant Pillai and Yakzan Gary Pereira. The film reached theatres on June 20. A promo song by popular Kochi-based rock band Black Letters was also released.
List of short films
|Sethulakshmi||Shyju Khalid||M. Mukundan||Shyam Pushkar
|Alby||Yakzan Gary Pereira|
|Isha||Sameer Thahir||Sijoy varghese||Siddharth Bharathan
|Shyju Khalid||Prashant Pillai|
|Gauri||Aashiq Abu||Amal Neerad
|Abhilash Kumar||Rajeev Ravi||Bijibal|
|Kullante Bharya||Amal Neerad||Feng Jicai||Unni R.||Ranadive||Gopi Sundar|
|Aami||Anwar Rasheed||Hashir Mohamed||Hashir Mohamed||Amal Neerad||Yakzan Gary Pereira|
Sethulakshmi ( Baby Anikha), a school-going girl, has a hobby of collecting the photos of newly married couples from newspaper and pasting them in a note-book. She has a close friend (Master Chethan) and he comes to know about her keen interest in taking photos. Once they decide to go to a studio nearby for taking their photos. The decision changes their destiny...
The short film tells the love story of a married couple living in a hill station. After materializing their love affair through register marriage, Gauri (Kavya Madhavan) and Jonathan Antony (Biju Menon) choose the place to begin their married life. Jo is crazy about trekking while Gauri is a dancer and teaches the art to her students. On the eve of their wedding anniversary, a tragedy occurs in their life and that changes their life.
A newly- wed couple comes to stay in an apartment. The husband played by Jinu Ben who is only 5 feet 1 inches is shorter than his extremely tall wife played by the 6 feet tall young new comer Reenu Mathews. This gives a chance to their neighbours to gossip about them. As the couple lives happily, they expect their baby to add to the joy. But destiny has something else in store for them. The whole film is pictured in the point of view of a person who is bed-ridden after an accident (played by Dulquer Salmaan). It is reminiscent of the photographer in wheelchair observing his neighbors in Alfred Hitchcock' Rear Window.
A businessman, Ajmal (Fahadh Faasil), faces a row of events during his journey from Malappuram to Kochi. His affectionate wife (Asmitha Sood) tries to keep him awake during the drive by asking a few tricky questions. The night journey becomes an eventful one and changes the course of his life.
The first film Sethulakshmi was by cinematographer Shyju debuting as a director in the film. The film was an adaptation of the story Photo by M. Mukundan. Two child artists, Baby Anikha and Chethan, played the lead in his segment. Tamil theatre actor Somasundaram, who acted in Aaranya Kaandam was signed to play a photographer in the film, setting foot into Malayalam films.
Sameer Thahir cast Isha Sharvani opposite Nivin Pauly in his segment. Isha, who will be making her Malayalam debut with this film, said that Sameer's story - written by Sijoy Varghese - explores the love between two strangers. This segment was completed in January 2013.
Aashiq Abu's featurette Gauri (earlier titled Naayika) would be a period film about a group of people going in search of a promised land. Biju Menon and Kavya Madhavan were signed to play the lead. Singer Rimi Tomy stated that she will be acting opposite Tini Tom, making her acting debut. In March 2013, Jayasurya was also signed up for a role. The shoot of the portion was held in Munnar and other locales.
Amal Neerad cast Dulquer Salmaan and Reenu Mathews, who acted in Lal Jose's Immanuel, as the lead pair for his portion. A debutant Jinu Ben was given a prominent role. Neerad said that the story was loosely based on an ancient Chinese short story, The Tall Woman and Her Short Husband.
Fahadh Faasil stated that he and Rima Kallingal would pair up in Anwar Rasheed's segment of the anthology. Rima Kallingal was replaced and Honey Rose and Asmitha Sood play the lead female roles in this film. Anwar said that the story unfolds on an eventful night and can be called a road movie.
The directors pitched in for each other as well. Anwar Rasheed’s portion was filmed by Amal Neerad, Shyju Kahlid handled the camera of Sameer Thahir’s film, Aashiq Abu’s film was shot by Rajeev Ravi and Amal Neerad chose his assistant Ranadive to crank the camera.
|Soundtrack album by Gopi Sundar,Yakzan Gary Pereira, Bijibal, Prashant Pillai|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The list of songs is as follows:
|1||"Amor Amor"||Kullande Bharya||Anna Katharina Valayil||Gopi Sunder|
|2||"Ekantham"||Title Song||Kunal Ganjawala,Sreya Raghav||Gopi Sunder||Theme song|
|3||"Kaana Dhooram"||Aami||Neha Nair||Yakzan Gary Pereira|
|4||"Manthara Katte"||Sethulakshmi||Neha Nair||Yakzan Gary Pereira|
|6||"Thammil Thammil"||Isha||Preeti Pillai||Prashant Pillai|
|7||"Theera Lahari"||Isha||Preeti Pillai||Prashant Pillai|
- Liza George (2013-02-06). "A bit of luck and destiny". The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Biju Menon and Kavya Madhavan in Aashiq Abu's next". The Times of India (Indiatimes.com). 2013-01-18. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Anchu Sundharikal: An anthology of love stories". IBN Live. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "The spotlight is on women in Mollywood". The Times of India. Indiatimes.com. 2013-03-08. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Five directors team up for 'Anchu Sundarikal'". Sify.com. 2012-09-03. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- [dead link]
- Vijay George (2013-05-30). "Fab 5". The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- "5 sundarikal shifted from June 14 - Malayalam Movie News". Indiaglitz.com. 2013-06-06. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- "Anchu sundarikal - black letters ost". YouTube. 2013-06-21. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- "Anchu Sundarikal Review". Timescity.com. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- News, Express (2013-05-22). "Unreeling spools of two-decade-old friendship". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- [dead link]
- "In pursuit of recognition". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Iâ€™ve proved myself as an actress: Isha Sharvani". The Times of India (Indiatimes.com). 2013-01-09. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Isha is all praise for Nivin". The Times of India (Indiatimes.com). 2013-01-18. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Rimi to dazzle on silver screen". Deccan Chronicle. 2013-03-12. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Rimi Tomy to make her film debut with Anju Sundarikal". The Times of India (Indiatimes.com). 2013-03-17. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Jayasurya in Aashiq Abu's Naayika". The Times of India (Indiatimes.com). 2013-03-09. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Dulquer, Reenu in Amal Neerad's 'Anju Sundarikal'". The Times of India (Indiatimes.com). 2013-02-09. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- "Rima, Fahadh in Anwar Rasheed's love anthology". The Times of India (Indiatimes.com). 2013-02-12. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- Athira M. (2013-01-23). "Shot Cuts". The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-04-12.
- 5 Sundarikal at the Internet Movie Database
- Five star experiment (The Hindu)
- Stories from the heart (The New Indian Express)
- Review (Malayala Manorama)
- Review (Sify.com)
- Review (Rediff.com) ()
- Review (Nowrunning.com) ()