5th World Scout Jamboree
|5th World Scout Jamboree|
The Jamboree in Vogelenzang, Bloemendaal in the Netherlands was opened on July 31, 1937 by Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands, with 28,750 Scouts from 54 countries attending. Given 650 water taps and 120 showers, it was considered the cleanest jamboree to date. The main camp was at Vogelenzang, the Sea Scout camp was at Bennebroek, now both part of the municipality Bloemendaal. The host site was on the farm of the Vertegaal family.
The symbol used for the world jamboree is the Jacob's staff, which was used during the exploration of new territories in the Age of Discovery by Dutch sailors. The ten arms symbolize the ten articles of the Scout Law. After this jamboree, the Jacob's staff became the award of gratitude for the Netherlands Scout organizations. Wooden versions were given to Scouts who had supported the jamboree organization. Later on, the silver and gold Jacob's staff became official awards of gratitude in the Dutch national Scouts organization.
The camp consisted of 12 subcamps, each with its own badge color:
Girls and Cub Scouts
Although girls did not participate in the jamboree (until the 16th World Scout Jamboree in Australia), they were allowed to give a salute to Olave Baden-Powell, their Chief Guide. Also a special Cub Scout day was organized during the jamboree.
Closure and farewell
|“||I am nearing the end of my life. Most of you are at the beginning, and I want your lives to be happy and successful. You can make them so by doing your best to carry out the Scout Law all your days, whatever your station and wherever you are. Now goodbye. God bless you all. God bless you.||”|
- Jamboree film (Silent)
- John S. Wilson (1959). Scouting Round the World (First ed.). Blandford Press. pp. 99, 132, 280. ASIN B000AQMKTI.
- Algemeen Handelsblad 18-07-1937
- "Wereld Jamborees" (in Dutch). Nationaal Scouting Museum. Archived from the original on 2007-09-30. Retrieved 2006-09-20.
- "Een der' speciale Jamboree-zegels, welke met toeslag van 1 Mei t/m 9 Juni a.s. verkrijgbaar worden gesteld ten behoeve van de vereeniging De Ned-Indische Padvinders. De netto-opbrengst van den toeslag wordt benut tot financiering van de uitzending van Ned.. Indische padvinders naar de Wereldjamboree". Nieuwe Tilburgsche Courant (in Dutch). 1937-04-08. Retrieved 2010-08-29.
- "5e Wereldjamboree 1937" (in Dutch). Scoutmuseum. Retrieved 2006-09-20.