|Millennium:||1st millennium BC|
|600 BC by topic|
- The Hanging Gardens of Babylon are built by Nebuchadnezzar.
- Zoroaster's religion becomes popular in Persia. (approximate date)
- Smyrna is sacked and destroyed by Alyattes II.
- The country of Armenia is created.
- The first dwelling at Emain Macha (now Navan Fort) is built (approximate date).
- Milan is founded by Celts.
- Capua is founded.
- Pompeii is founded. (approximate date)
- The Etruscans seize possession of Rome, making it into a prosperous trade center. (approximate date)
- Victorious over the Carthaginians in a naval battle, the Greeks of Phocaea establish the city Marseille in today's France.
- Athens is suffering severe economic problems. (approximate date)
- The calendrical system begins appearing in areas with strong Olmec influence, continuing to appear until 500 BC. (approximate date)
Art and architecture
- Archaic period of sculpture begins in Greece. (approximate date)
- Kouros (representation of a male youth) begins to be made, being finished in 580 BC. (approximate date)
- Pitcher (container) (olpe), from Corinth, is made. It is now at The British Museum, London. (approximate date)
- The Temple of Artemis, Korkyra in Corfu begins to be built. (approximate date)
- The Doric and Ionic orders are well developed. (approximate date)
- Cambyses I, father of Cyrus the Great and future king of Anshan (approximate date)
- King Gong of Chu, king of Chu
- Battus I of Cyrene, founder and first king of the Greek colony of Cyrenaica
- Duke Cheng of Jin, ruler of the State of Jin
- Cyrus I, king of Anshan, according to some sources