600s BC (decade)
(Redirected from 600 BCE)Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article concerns the period 609 BC – 600 BC.
|Millennium:||1st millennium BC|
Events and trends
- 609 BC—The Babylonians defeat the Assyrian army of Ashur-uballit II and capture Harran. Ashur-uballit, the last Assyrian king, disappears from history.
- 609 BC—King Josiah of Judah dies in the Battle of Megiddo against Pharaoh Necho II of Egypt, who is on his way north to aid the Assyrian state of Ashur-uballit II. Jehoahaz succeeds his father Josiah as King of Judah, but is quickly deposed by Necho, who installs Jehoahaz's brother Jehoiakim in his place.
- 607 BC—Death of King Kuang of the Zhou Dynasty of China.
- 606 BC—Ji Yu becomes king of the Zhou Dynasty.
- 605 BC—Battle of Carchemish: Crown Prince Nebuchadnezzar II of Babylon defeats the army of Necho II of Egypt, securing the Babylonian conquest of Assyria. The Babylonians pursue through Syria and Palestine.
- 605 BC—Nebuchadnezzar II succeeds his father Nabopolassar as King of Babylon.
- 601 BC—Foundation of Perinthus by settlers from Samos.
- 600 BC— Foundation of Marseille by Focei winners in a naval clash on Carthaginians; It was the beginning of Greek-punic Wars.
- 600 BC—Radiocarbon dating for first circular inhabitation enclosure at Emain Macha.
- 600 BC—Creation of Armenia.
- 600 BC—Foundation of Capua.
- 600 BC—Foundation of Milan by Celts (approximate date).
- 600 BC—Smyrna sacked and destroyed.
- 600 BC—Nebuchadnezzar builds the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.
- c. 600 BC—Archaic period of sculpture starts in Ancient Greece.
- c. 600 BC—Pitcher (container) (olpe), from Corinth, is made. It is now at The British Museum, London.
- c. 600 BC—Kouros is made. It is now at The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York.
- c. 600 BC–580 BC—Temple of Artemis, Korkyra (Corfu) is built.
- c. 600 BC—Pompeii is founded.
- c. 600 BC—Zarathustra's religion becomes popular in Persia.
- c. 600 BC—Beginning of the construction of the largest Mound at Cahokia, near East St. Louis, Illinois. Construction continues until AD 200.
- c. 600 BC—The Etruscans capture the settlement of Rome, making it into a prosperous trading centre.
- c. 600 BC—Athens was suffering severe economic problems.
- c. 600 BC—Doric order and Ionic order are well developed.
- c. 600 BC - 500 BC - Calendrical system appears in areas with strong Olmec influence in Mesoamerica.