|Cardinal||six hundred sixteen|
(six hundred sixteenth)
|Factorization||23 × 7 × 11|
616 is a member of the Padovan sequence, coming after 265, 351, 465 (it is the sum of the first two of these). 616 is a polygonal number in four different ways: it is a heptagonal number, as well as 13-, 31- and 104-gonal.
The 616th harmonic number is the first to exceed seven.
Number of the beast
666 is generally believed to have been the original Number of the Beast in the Book of Revelation in the Christian Bible. In 2005, however, a fragment of papyrus 115 was revealed, containing the earliest known version of that part of the Book of Revelation discussing the Number of the Beast. It gave the number as 616, suggesting that this may have been the original. One possible explanation for the two different numbers is that they reflect two different spellings of Emperor Nero/Neron's name, for which (according to this theory) this number is believed to be a code.
In other fields
- Earth-616 is the name used to identify the primary continuity in which most Marvel Comics' titles take place.
- 616 film, a medium film format.
- Area code 616, an area code in Michigan.
- Beale, G.K. (1999). Revelation : a commentary on the Greek text (3. Dr. ed.). Grand Rapids, MI: W.B. Eerdmans. p. 718. ISBN 978-0-8028-2174-4.
…a copyist may have intentionally changed the number to 616 under influence from the Latin form of the name Nero, which, transcribed into Hebrew characters…, produces 616.
- "The Other Number of the Beast". Retrieved Jun 21, 2020.
- "Sloane's A000931 : Padovan sequence". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "Papyrus Reveals New Clues to Ancient World". Archived from the original on 2012-01-16. Retrieved 2011-11-21.
- "RLST 152 - Lecture 23 - Apocalyptic and Resistance | Open Yale Courses". oyc.yale.edu. Retrieved Jun 21, 2020.
- "Evil Number". Numberphile. Retrieved Jun 21, 2020.