65th Street Terminal (BMT Fifth Avenue Line)
65th Street Terminal
|Former New York City Subway rapid transit station|
|Address||Third Avenue and 65th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11220
|Services||BMT Fifth Avenue Line|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Opened||October 1, 1893|
|Closed||May 31, 1940|
|Next north||58th Street|
65th Street Terminal was a station on the demolished section of the BMT Fifth Avenue Line. It was served by trains of the BMT Fifth Avenue Line, and despite the name of the line was actually located at Third Avenue and 65th Street. It had two tracks and one island platform. The station had connections to the Bay Ridge Suburban Line, Bay Ridge Line, Third Avenue Line, and 86th Street Suburban Line trolleys. Today, the western terminus of the Belt Parkway at the interchange with the Gowanus Expressway can be found in the vicinity.
At midnight on June 1, 1940, service on the Fifth Avenue Elevated ended as required by the unification of the city's three subway companies.
On September 15, 1941, the demolition of the Fifth Avenue Elevated started at 35th Street and Fifth Avenue, and it was completed by November of that year. The section of the elevated on Third Avenue from 38th Street to 65th Street was used as part of the elevated highway approach, the Gowanus Expressway, to the Brooklyn–Battery Tunnel. In total, three miles of the elevated was scrapped, with the work being done by the Harris Structural Steel Company.
- District, New York (State) Public Service Commission First (1912-01-01). Reports of Decisions of the Public Service Commission, First District , of the State of New York. commission.
- "Trial Trip on the Sea Side". Brooklyn Daily Eagle. Brooklyn, NY. September 30, 1893. p. 10.
- "Through Trains To-day". Brooklyn Daily Eagle. Brooklyn, NY. October 1, 1893. p. 1.
- "B.M.T. 'El' Lines to Shift Service; City to Close 2 Sections This Week; New Schedules Affect Fulton St., Lexington Ave. and Culver Roads--Free Transfers to the Independent System at Some Stations". The New York Times. 1940-05-27. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2016-08-02.
- "Razing of Elevated Started". The New York Times. 1941-09-16. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2016-08-02.
- "RAZING WILL BEGIN ON BROOKLYN 'EL'; Demolition of Fifth Avenue Line Will Start Monday -- Surface Cars Rerouted". The New York Times. 1941-09-09. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2016-08-02.