68th Tony Awards
|68th Tony Awards|
|Date||June 8, 2014|
|Location||Radio City Music Hall, New York, New York|
|Hosted by||Hugh Jackman|
|Most awards||A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder and Hedwig and the Angry Inch (4)|
|Most nominations||A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder (10)|
|Produced by||Ricky Kirshner|
|Directed by||Glenn Weiss|
The 68th Annual Tony Awards were held June 8, 2014, to recognize achievement in Broadway productions during the 2013–14 season. The ceremony was held at Radio City Music Hall in New York City, and was televised live on CBS. Hugh Jackman was the host, his fourth time hosting. The 15 musical Tony Awards went to seven different musicals, and six plays shared the 11 play Tony Awards.
The nominations were announced on April 29, 2014 by Jonathan Groff and Lucy Liu. Audra McDonald won the Tony Award for Best Actress in a Play. In just her ninth Broadway engagement, McDonald established two records as the first actor to win six Tony Awards for acting and the first to win in all four categories, lead and featured in both a play and a musical. In its seventh Broadway incarnation, The Glass Menagerie won its first Tony Award (Lighting Design).
Aladdin's win made it the fourth franchise to complete EGOT status.
Shows that opened on Broadway during the 2013–14 season before April 24, 2014, were eligible for consideration.
The ceremony included performances from the nominated musicals (both new and revival) as well as other current musicals. The performances include:
Neil Patrick Harris (who hosted the last 3 ceremonies) and the cast of Hedwig and the Angry Inch performing "Sugar Daddy," Sutton Foster with the cast of Violet performing a medley of "On My Way" and "Raise You Up," Alan Cumming and the cast of Cabaret performing "Wilkommen," and Idina Menzel performing "Always Starting Over: from If/Then.
From the other shows that were nominated either for Best Musical or Best Revival. Those performances include:
James Monroe Iglehart, Adam Jacobs, and the cast of Aladdin performing "Friend Like Me"; Ramin Karimloo and the cast of Les Misérables performing "One Day More"; Jessie Mueller and the cast of Beautiful: The Carole King Musical performing a medley of "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" and "I Feel The Earth Move" (with Carole King herself); Bryce Pinkham, Lisa O'Hare, and Lauren Worsham from A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder performing "I've Decided to Marry You"; the cast of Bullets Over Broadway performing "T'Aint Nobody's Business"; and Andy Karl and the cast of Rocky performing "Eye of the Tiger" and the Final Box Fight scene.
Additionally, Wicked performed to celebrate its 10th anniversary; Patti LaBelle, Gladys Knight and Fantasia performed with the cast of After Midnight; and Sting performed a song from his new musical The Last Ship. Jennifer Hudson sang from a new musical, Finding Neverland.
The finale included Jackman in a dance number with all the Tony Award winners on stage.
The presenters included:
During this ceremony, a new award was announced by Zachary Quinto and Matt Bomer, the "Tony Honor for Excellence in Theatre Education", which is to be presented by Carnegie Mellon University and will "honor kindergarten through high school (K-12) theatre educators."
According to the preliminary numbers, the televised awards ceremony had 7.02 million viewers. The 2013 telecast had 7.24 million viewers.
Winners and nominees
- 4: A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, Hedwig and the Angry Inch
- 3: A Raisin in the Sun
- 2: All the Way, Beautiful: The Carole King Musical, Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill, The Bridges of Madison County, Twelfth Night
- 10: A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder
- 8: Hedwig and the Angry Inch
- 7: After Midnight, Beautiful: The Carole King Musical, The Glass Menagerie, Twelfth Night
- 6: Bullets Over Broadway, The Cripple of Inishmaan
- 5: Act One, Aladdin, A Raisin in the Sun
- 4: The Bridges of Madison County, Casa Valentina, Machinal, Rocky the Musical, Violet
- 3: Les Misérables
- 2: All the Way, Cabaret, If/Then, Lady Day at Emerson's Bar and Grill, Mothers and Sons, Of Mice and Men
The Isabelle Stevenson Award was given to Rosie O’Donnell "for her commitment to arts education for New York City’s public school children." The Special Tony Award for Lifetime Achievement was awarded to Jane Greenwood "for her outstanding work in costume design and for her dedication to the theatre".
The Regional Theatre Award was awarded to the Signature Theatre Company, New York City. This is the first time a New York-based theatre company has received this award, whose eligibility had been expanded to include New York City for the 2013–14 season.
- Mitch Leigh
- Sarah Marshall
- Sid Caesar
- Sheila MacRae
- Martin Gottfried
- Miller Wright
- James Gandolfini
- Phyllis Frelich
- William Dodds
- Chuck Patterson
- Julie Harris
- Kelly Garrett
- Faith Geer
- Ashton Springer
- Philip Seymour Hoffman
- Jane Connell
- Frank Gero
- Mickey Rooney
- David Rogers
- Shirley Herz
- Clayton Corzatte
- Mitchell Erickson
- Seth Popper
- Regina Resnik
- Leslie Lee
- Eydie Gorme
- Kathleen Raitt
- Michael Filerman
- Martin Gold
- Jacques LeSourd
- Anna Crouse
- Stephen Porter
- Nicholas Martin
- Paul Rogers
- Gene Feist
- Maya Angelou
- Kennedy, Mark (June 9, 2014). "Tony Awards take a dip in the ratings for CBS". USA Today. Retrieved April 14, 2017.
- Gans, Andrew. "68th Annual Tony Awards Will Be Broadcast Live from Radio City Music Hall" Archived February 22, 2014, at the Wayback Machine Playbill, October 9, 2013
- Gans, Andrew. "Hugh Jackman Will Host 68th Annual Tony Awards" Archived 2014-02-22 at the Wayback Machine Playbill, February 11, 2014
- Purcell, Carey. " 'Gent's Guide', 'All The Way', 'Hedwig And the Angry Inch', 'Raisin in the Sun' Win Top Prizes at 68th Annual Tony Awards" playbill.com, June 8, 2014
- "His good luck charm! Bryan Cranston reunites with Breaking Bad co-star Anna Gunn at The Tonys... and goes on to win Best Leading Actor gong". Daily Mail. June 8, 2014. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- "Tony awards 2014: Cranston scoops best actor in Broadway debut". Guardian. June 8, 2014. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- Healy, Patrick (June 9, 2014). "2014 Tony Awards: 'Gentleman's Guide' and 'All the Way' Are Named Top Shows". The New York Times. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- Gans, Andrew. "68th Annual Tony Awards Nominations Announced; 'Gentleman's Guide' Leads the Pack" Archived 2014-05-30 at the Wayback Machine Playbill, April 29, 2014
- McDermon, Daniel (June 9, 2014). "How Audra McDonald Won Six Tony Awards". The New York Times. Retrieved June 9, 2014.
- Gans, Andrew. "Neil Patrick Harris, Idina Menzel, Sutton Foster, Sting, Fantasia, Wicked, Rocky and More Will Perform on Tony Awards" Archived 2014-06-07 at the Wayback Machine playbill.com, May 29, 2014
- Gans, Andrew. "Oscar Winner Jennifer Hudson Will Perform Song from 'Finding Neverland' on Tony Awards" Archived 2014-06-07 at the Wayback Machine playbill.com, June 4, 2014
- Bowgen, Philippe. "A Commentary on The 68th Annual Tony Awards: Broadway's Brightest, Best and Bunny-hoppers Alike" Archived 2014-06-12 at the Wayback Machine playbill.com, June 8, 2014
- Gans, Andrew."Over 25 Stars Set to Make Appearances on 68th Annual Tony Awards" Archived 2014-05-27 at the Wayback Machine playbill.com, May 27, 2014
- Gans, Andrew. "Tony Awards Gets Starrier; Ten Additional Artists Announced for Broadway's Biggest Night" Archived 2014-06-06 at the Wayback Machine playbill.com, June 5, 2014
- Gans, Andrew. "Zachary Quinto and Matt Bomer Will Introduce New Educator Honor at 2014 Tony Awards" Archived 2014-07-14 at the Wayback Machine playbill.com, June 3, 2014
- Gans, Andrew. "Tony Awards Viewership Down Slightly, According to Preliminary Numbers" Archived 2014-06-11 at the Wayback Machine playbill.com, June 9, 2014
- Gans, Andrew. "Rosie O'Donnell Is Recipient of the 2014 Isabelle Stevenson Award" Archived 2014-04-07 at the Wayback Machine Playbill, April 1, 2014
- Gans, Andrew."Jane Greenwood Will Receive Special Tony Award for Lifetime Achievement" Archived 2014-04-09 at the Wayback Machine Playbill, April 8, 2014
- Gans, Andrew. "Tony Honors for Excellence Will Be Presented to Joe Benincasa, Joan Marcus and Charlotte Wilcox" Archived 2014-04-11 at the Wayback Machine Playbill, April 9, 2014
- Gans, Andrew. "New York's Signature Theatre Will Receive 2014 Regional Theatre Tony Award" Archived 2014-04-29 at the Wayback Machine Playbill, April 28, 2014