6th New York Volunteer Infantry
|6th Regiment New York Volunteer Infantry|
New York state flag
|Active||May 25, 1861 to June 25, 1863|
|Engagements||American Civil War|
|Col. William Wilson|
6th Regiment Infantry also called "Wilson's Zouaves" was organized at New York City on May 25, 1861. The Regiment was composed of 5 initial companies of A, B, C, and D. Companies E, F, G, H, I, and K were added May 25, 1861. It was made up primarily of gang members, ex-cons, and criminals from the Bowery section of New York City. Rumor had it that a man had to prove he'd served time in jail before he was allowed to join.
Santa Rosa Island
- Santa Rosa Island, District of Florida, Department of the South, to May 1862.
- Arnold's Brigade, District of Pensacola, Florida, Department of the South, to September 1862. *Wilson's Brigade, District of West Florida, Department of the Gulf, to November 1862.
- Grover's Division, Department of the Gulf, to January 1863.
- 1st Brigade, 4th Division, 19th Army Corps, Dept. of the Gulf, to June 1863.
- October 9, 1861 - against Confederate forces led by Gen. Richard H. Anderson in the Battle of Santa Rosa Island.
- November 22–23 - against Confederate works at Pensacola.
- January 1, 1862 - bombardment of Fort McRae and Fort Barrancas.
- March 27–31, 1862 - reconnaissance on Santa Rosa Island.
- May 9 through November 1862 - Co. "K" on duty at Pensacola.
- June 14-14 - Companies B, C E and H on expedition to Milton, Florida.
- August 7–10 - reconnaissance from Pensacola to Bagdad, Florida and Milton, Florida
- November 1862 - companies A and E ordered to New Orleans, Louisiana.
- December 17-March 13, 1863 - occupation of Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- March 13–27, 1863 - operations at the Siege of Port Hudson.
- March 28, 1863 - moved to Donaldsonville, Louisiana.
- April 9-May 14, 1863 - operations in Western Louisiana.
- April 11–20 - Teche Campaign.
- April 12–13 - Fort Bisland
- April 13 - Porter's and McWilliams' Plantations at Indian Bend, Louisiana.
- April 14 - Battle of Irish Bend.
- April 17 - Battle of Vermillion Bayou.
- April 20 - Opelousas, Louisiana.
- May 11, 1863 moved to Barre Landing then May 21–26, 1863 by trains to Berwick, Louisiana.
- May 25, 1863 action at Franklin and Centreville.
The 6th was ordered back to New York City for muster out, mustered out at New York City June 25, 1863, expiration of term.
- New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center - Civil War - 6th Infantry Regiment History, photograph, table of battles and casualties, Civil War newspaper clippings, historical sketch, and battle flag for the 6th New York Infantry Regiment.