74th Guards Rifle Division
|74th Guards Rifle Division|
|Active||1 Mar 43 - Unknown|
|Engagements||Donbas Strategic Offensive
Krivoi Rog Offensive
Battle of the Seelow Heights
Berlin Strategic Offensive
|Decorations||Order of Lenin
Order of the Red Banner
Order of Bogdan Khmelnitsky II Class
The 74th Guards Rifle Division' was an Guards infantry division of the Red Army during the Second World War. Its full formal name was the 74-я Guards Nizhnedneprovskiy Order of Lenin twice Red Banner Order of Bogdan Khmelnitsky Rifle Division. It was formed from the 45th Rifle Division on 1 March 1943. The division's entire World War II service was with the 62nd Army, later the 8th Guards Army.
World War II Service
In July 1943, participated in the battles on the outskirts of Izium, Izyum-Barvenkovo Offensive, in August 1943 in the Barvenkovo-Pavlograd Offensive, as part of the Donbas Strategic Offensive Operation . In the Lower Dnieper Offensive Operation crossed the Dnieper south of Dnipropetrovsk. During Nizhnedneprovskiy offensive forced the Dnieper to the south of Dnipropetrovsk. Then took part in the Krivoi Rog Offensive and Nikopol Offensive.
In January 1945 the division was part of the Vistula–Oder Offensive and the liberation of Poland.
During the war the division participated in the liberation of the cities of Izium, Nikopol, Krivoy Rog, Odessa, Poznan, Lodz, and taking Kustrin.
- South-Western Front, 62nd Army - 1 April 1943.
- South-Western Front, 8th Guards Army, 29th Guards Rifle Corps - from 5 May 1943.
- 3rd Ukrainian Front, 8th Guards Army, 29 Guards Rifle Corps - about 20 October 1943.
- 1st Belorussian Front, 8th Guards Army, 29th Guards Rifle Corps — about 15 June 1944.
- With 8th Guards Army of the 1st Belorussian Front May 1945.
- 226th Guards Rifle "Lodz" Regiment
- 236th Guards Rifle Regiment
- 240th Guards Rifle Regiment
- 157th Guards Artillery Regiment
- 82th[clarification needed] Guards separate antitank battalion
- 399th Guards antiaircraft battery (up to 13 April 1943)
- 76th Guards intelligence company
- 85th Guards sapper battalion
- 103rd Guards separate battalion
- 584th (77th) Medical battalion
- 73rd Guards separate company chemical protection
- 725th (78th) trucking company
- 659th (79th) field bakery
- 676th (75th) Divisional veterinary hospital
- 781st Field Postal Station
- 538th field ticket office of the State Bank
- Colonel Vasily Pavlovich Sokolov (1 March 1942 - 1 September 1943), 1943 promoted to major general
- Colonel Mikhail Ivanovich Yugatov (2 September 1943 - 29 November 1943)
- Colonel Adrian T. Kuzin (30 November 1943 - 31 January 1944)
- Colonel Dmitry Yevstigneyevich Bakanov (1 February 1944 - 1 May 1944)
- Colonel Karl Karlovich Mazheika (11 May 1944 - 3 June 1944)
- Major General Dmitry Yevstigneyevich Bakanov (4 June 1944 - 5 August 1945)
- Awarded the Order of Bogdan Khmelnitsky 2 degrees Order of Bogdan Khmelnitsky II degree
- 13 Feb 1944 — given the name "Nizhnedneprovskiy"
- Vladimir Abyzov, The Final Assault, 1945, Novosti Press Agency Publishing House, Moscow, 1985. A short memoir of a rifleman of the 236th Guards Rifle Regiment.
- Infantry divisions of the Soviet Union 1917-1957