79th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment
|79th Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry|
|Active||August 28, 1862, to June 12, 1865|
|Equipment||Battle of Perryville
Battle of Stone's River
Battle of Chickamauga
Siege of Chattanooga
Battle of Resaca
Battle of Kennesaw Mountain
Siege of Atlanta
Battle of Franklin
Battle of Nashville
The 79th Illinois Infantry was organized at Mattoon, Illinois and mustered into Federal service on August 28, 1862.
Total strength and casualties
The regiment suffered 4 officers and 81 enlisted men who were killed in action or who died of their wounds and 1 officer and 211 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 297 fatalities.
- Colonel Lyman Guinnip - Resigned October 17, 1862.
- Colonel Sheridan P. Read - Killed in action at the Battle of Stone's River December 31, 1862.
- Colonel Allen Buckner - Mustered out with the regiment.
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unilinf7.htm#79th The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
- http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilcivilw/f&s/079-fs.htm Illinois in the Cvil war website after Illinois Adjutant General's muster rolls
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|