8½ Otto e Mezzo Bombana
|8½ Otto e Mezzo Bombana|
|Head chef||Umberto Bombana|
|Dress code||Business casual|
|Rating||Michelin Guide 2015|
|City||Central, Victoria City|
|Seating capacity||79 (55 main dining room + 12 each in 2 private dining rooms)|
|Other information||(Tel) (852) 2537-8859|
8½ Otto e Mezzo Bombana is an Italian restaurant at Shop 202, Alexandra House, Central, Hong Kong. It is the only Italian restaurant outside of Italy to have received 3 stars from the Michelin Guide, having been awarded 3 stars by the 2012 Michelin Guide Hong Kong and Macau. Its head chef is Umberto Bombana.
Umberto Bombana trained under Ezio Santin. He worked at Toscana at the Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong from 1993. He was a prime mover in introducing the white truffle to Hong Kong's restaurant scene and he introduced the World White Truffle of Alba Auction to Hong Kong. In 2006, Bombana was appointed by Piedmontese Regional Enoteca Cavour as their International White Truffle Ambassador.
The Ritz-Carlton hotel was demolished in 2008 to make way for the building of China Construction Bank. Umberto Bombana then opened 8½ Otto e Mezzo Bombana in January 2010. The restaurant's name is a tribute to Bombana's favorite Italian film director Federico Fellini’s 1963 autobiographical movie 8½.
On 9 January 2014, Galaxy Entertainment Group Ltd announced that the 8½ Otto e Mezzo Bombana restaurant will be a feature at Galaxy Macau's under construction Ritz Carlton hotel, which will open in mid-2015.
In 2012, awarded 3 stars by the Michelin Guide.
On 29 April 2013, 8½ Otto e Mezzo was named 39th in the top 100 restaurants of the world in The World’s Best Restaurants Awards.
- "8 1/2 Otto e Mezzo Bombana: Gourmet dining done in a jovial, unfussy Italian way". CNN Travel. 7 October 2010. Retrieved 5 December 2012.
- 港產意式餐廳升呢獲三星級 平價腸粉店入選米芝蓮 [Hong Kong Italian restaurant awarded three Michelin stars]. Apple Daily (in Chinese). 2 December 2011. Retrieved 5 December 2012.
- 松露王炮製桌上好戲 [White truffle prepared at table]. Oriental Daily (in Chinese). 16 April 2011. Retrieved 5 December 2012.
- Lim, Le-Min (31 January 2008). "Hong Kong Ritz-Carlton Shuts After 14 Years; Chandelier Anyone?". Bloomberg.com.
- "8½ Otto e Mezzo Bombana: The Restaurant". Otto e Mezzo official website. 7 December 2011. Retrieved 5 December 2012.
- Li, Zoe (7 December 2011). "Otto e Mezzo: Best place to eat white truffles in Hong Kong". CNN Travel. Retrieved 5 December 2012.
- "Galaxy Macau to have an 8½ Otto e Mezzo Bombana". Macau Business. 9 January 2014.
- Bae, Hannah (11 November 2011). "Top 20 restaurants in Asia: The Miele Guide names Iggy's in Singapore Asia's best restaurant, ousts big names from annual list". CNN Travel. Retrieved 5 December 2012.
- "World's Best Restaurants 2013: the top 100 in full". Daily Telegraph. 29 April 2013. Retrieved 2 May 2013.