8-Bit Operators: The Music of Kraftwerk
|8-Bit Operators: The Music of Kraftwerk|
|Studio album by |
8-Bit Operators: The Music of Kraftwerk was released  in 2007 by the group 8-Bit Operators  on Kraftwerk's US label Astralwerks and EMI Records worldwide. It features cover versions of Kraftwerk songs by several prominent chiptune artists.
Inspiration for the project as quoted by Jeremy Kolosine (credited as Executive Producer of the release, and noted founder of the early 80's electronic group Futurisk and chipmusic band Receptors.)
Well the first thing that comes to my mind when I saw a gameboy show was Kraftwerk's Computer World Tour from 1981, where four of them played various handheld devices during the song 'Pocket Calculator'. Plus it came up in a print from a Glomag quote, and an 8 Bit Weapon April Fool's joke that backfired.
In a subsequent interview, when asked about the 8-Bit Operators release, Ralf Hütter responded:
It is mind stimulating, the minimum/maximum coming from sound levels and thoughts and ideas. Like Autobahn and Trans-Europe Express are very basic and elementary ideas, but they offer a pattern or concept for improvisation.
CD Track listing
|1.||"The Robots (Die Roboter)"||Bacalao||3:29|
|4.||"Showroom Dummies"||Role Model||3:59|
|9.||"Computer World (Computerwelt)"||firestARTer||4:26|
|13.||"It's More Fun to Compute"||Bubblyfish||3:52|
|15.||"The Man-Machine (Die Mensch-Maschine)"||gwEm and Counter Reset||4:06|
Side A of the vinyl consisted of 8-Bit Operators' "Pocket Calculator (Megamix)" version by Glomag (featuring 0x7f, Bit Shifter, Bubblyfish, firestARTer, Hey Kid Nice Robot, Ladybug, M-.-n, Nullsleep, Psilodump, Random, Sidabitball, and David E Sugar).
Side B was an alternate cover of Kraftwerk's "The Robots" by the Los Angeles chipmusic rap group 8-Bit.
- 8-Bit Operators Archived 2008-04-15 at the Wayback Machine. Astralwerks.com. Retrieved on 2011-03-02.
- 8 bit Operators. www.8bitops.com. Retrieved on 2011-03-02.
- OUT NOW! 8-BIT OPERATORS ~ WANNA HLD YR HANDHELD BEATLES TRIBUTE | 8-BIT OPERATORS KRAFTWERK TRIBUTE on ASTRALWERKS / EMI | 8bitoperators.com | receptorsmusic.com | 8bitops.com | futurisk.net | kraftwerk.8bitoperators.com | beatles.8bitoperators.com | 8-bit micro-chipmusic / nintendo gameboy chiptunes / handheld micromusic / atari space-punk / c64 electro-funk / nintendo DSi synthesis / korg ds-10 / lsdj / nanoloop | ksine | shakespace | futurisk | free music. 8bitoperators.com. Retrieved on 2011-03-02.
- Kraftwerk Goes 8-Bit – Music News at IGN Archived 2006-12-16 at the Wayback Machine. Music.ign.com (2006-11-29). Retrieved on 2011-03-02.
- 8-Bit Operators. Stranded In Stereo (1971-06-25). Retrieved on 2011-03-02.
- www.hypnote.com Archived 2012-04-02 at the Wayback Machine pdf of RPM issue #1008 chart(8-Bit Operators at #21 - high position #1)Retrieved September 20, 2011
- google.com Archived April 1, 2016, at the Wayback Machine search:north "american college electronic rpm charts 2007 8 bit 8bit operators" Retrieved September 20, 2011
- Kraftwerk Gets a New Sound on '8-Bit Operators'. NPR. Retrieved on 2011-03-02.
- jeremy.kolosine.com. jeremy.kolosine.com. Retrieved on 2011-03-02.
- Chaos Control Digizine – music interviews, news, and more!. Chaoscontrol.com (2007-02-06). Retrieved on 2011-03-02.
- An Ode to Kraftwerk The Original Computer Geeks Ft Worth Star-Telegram, February 18, 2007
- Reid, Graham (27 September 2008). "Interview: Ralf Hutter of Kraftwerk". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 15 September 2011.
- Hot Dance Singles Sales Pocket Calculator Almusic.com (charts-awards/billboard-singles) retrieved September 20, 2011