81st Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment
|81st Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry|
|Active||August 21, 1862 to August 5, 1865|
|Equipment||Battle of Port Gibson
Battle of Raymond
Battle of Jackson
Battle of Champion's Hill
Siege of Vicksburg
Battle of Lovejoy's Station
The 81st Illinois Infantry was organized at Anna, Illinois and mustered into Federal service on August 21, 1862.
The regiment was mustered out on August 5, 1865.
Total strength and casualties
The regiment suffered 8 officers and 66 enlisted men who were killed in action or who died of their wounds and 3 officers and 292 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 369 fatalities.
- Colonel James J. Dollins - Killed in action at the Siege of Vicksburg, May 22, 1863.
- Colonel Franklin Campbell - Resigned August 20, 1864.
- Lieutenant Colonel Andrew W. Rogers - Mustered out with the regiment.
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unilinf7.htm#81st The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
- http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilcivilw/f&s/081-fs.htm Illinois in the Civil war website after Illinois Adjutant General's muster rolls
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|