A three-dimensional model of 832 Karin based on its light curve.
|Discovered by||Max Wolf|
|Discovery date||20 September 1916|
|MPC designation||(832) Karin|
|main belt, karin family|
|Epoch 31 July 2016 (JD 2457600.5)|
|Uncertainty parameter 0|
|Observation arc||94.56 yr (34538 d)|
|Aphelion||3.0940 AU (462.86 Gm)|
|Perihelion||2.6359 AU (394.33 Gm)|
|2.8649 AU (428.58 Gm)|
|4.85 yr (1771.2 d)|
|0° 12m 11.7s / day|
|Earth MOID||1.63589 AU (244.726 Gm)|
|Jupiter MOID||2.32434 AU (347.716 Gm)|
|Jupiter Tisserand parameter||3.295|
|18.35 h (0.765 d)|
832 Karin is a minor planet orbiting the Sun. It is the largest and brightest member of the Karin Cluster, which is named after it. Found in 2002, the Karin cluster is notable for being very young. It is currently believed to have formed in a collision only 5.8 million years ago.
The minor planet is named in honor of Karin Månsdotter, who was the mistress of Erik XIV of Sweden in the 16th century. In 1567, Erik married Karin, but he was pushed from his throne because of this marriage.
- "832 Karin (1916 AB)". JPL Small-Body Database. NASA/Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Retrieved 4 May 2016.
- Nesvorný, David; Bottke Jr., William F.; Dones, L; Levison, HF (2002), "The recent breakup of an asteroid in the main-belt region", Nature, 417: 720–771, Bibcode:2002Natur.417..720N, PMID 12066178, doi:10.1038/nature00789
- Nesvorný, David; Enke, Brian L.; Bottke, William F.; Durda, Daniel D.; Ashaug, Erik; Richardson, Derek C. (August 2006), "Karin cluster formation by asteroid impact", Icarus, 183 (2): 296–311, Bibcode:2006Icar..183..296N, doi:10.1016/j.icarus.2006.03.008
- Schmadel, Lutz D. (2007). Dictionary of Minor Planet Names – (832) Karin. Springer Berlin Heidelberg. p. 77. ISBN 978-3-540-00238-3. Retrieved 4 April 2016.
- Asteroid Lightcurve Database (LCDB), query form (info)
- Discovery Circumstances: Numbered Minor Planets (1)-(5000) – Minor Planet Center
- 832 Karin at the JPL Small-Body Database
|This article about an asteroid native to the asteroid belt is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|