From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- the sum of three consecutive primes (23 + 29 + 31).
- the sum of five consecutive primes (11 + 13 + 17 + 19 + 23).
- the 23rd prime number, following 79 (of which it is also a cousin prime) and preceding 89.
- a Sophie Germain prime.
- a safe prime.
- a Chen prime.
- an Eisenstein prime with no imaginary part and real part of the form 3n − 1.
- a highly cototient number.
- Messier object M83, a magnitude 8.5 spiral galaxy in the constellation Hydra, also known as the Southern Pinwheel Galaxy
- The New General Catalogue object NGC 83, a magnitude 12.3 elliptical galaxy in the constellation Andromeda
- The Saros number of the solar eclipse series which began on -210 May 5 and ended on 1052 May. The duration of Saros series 83 was 1262.1 years, and it contained 71 solar eclipses. The Saros number of the lunar eclipse series which began on -197 August 22 and ended on 1318 February. The duration of Saros series 83 was 1514.5 years, and it contained 85 lunar eclipses.
- When someone reaches 83 they may celebrate a second bar mitzvah
- M83 is the debut album of the French electronic music group M83
- 83 is a song written by John Mayer in the Room for Squares album.
- 83 is a Quebec hip-hop group
In film and television
- Gypsy 83 is 2001 film directed by Todd Stephens
- Class of '83 is 2004 film directed by Kurt E. Soderling
- 83 Hours 'Til Dawn is a 1990 film directed by Donald Wrye
- 83 is the highest UHF channel on older televisions made before the late 1970s (newer televisions only go up to channel 69, due to the frequency spectrum previously assigned to channels 70-83 in the United States being reassigned to cellular phone service there in the late 1970s-early 1980s). As an example, the television station CIVIC-TV managed by the James Woods character Max Renn in the 1983 film Videodrome was on Channel 83.
- 83 is a number commonly used in false statistics by Barney Stinson in the TV show "How I Met Your Mother".
- In Gears of War, Cole's thrashball number is 83.
In other fields
Eighty-three is also:
- The year AD 83, 83 BC, or 1983
- The TI-83 series, graphing calculators from Texas Instruments
- Konsept83 is a Greek graphic design team.
- The model number of Bell XP-83
- The number of the French department Var
- The designation of Interstate 83, a freeway that runs from Maryland to Pennsylvania
- European route E83 from Bjala to Sofia
- The ISBN Group Identifier for books published in Poland
- The eighth letter of the alphabet is H and the third letter is C, thus 83 stands for "Heil Christ," a greeting sometimes (not always) used by racist organizations that consider themselves also to be Christian. This symbology is also known to be used by many non-racist (though certainly religion-biased) Christians and non-denominational Churches.
- An emoticon based on :3 with wide-open eyes.
- An honored number in Chicago sports radio show "Boers and Bernstein." Any mention of the number 83 is acknowledged with a throaty "eighty-three"sound drop.[why?]
- "Sloane's A005384 : Sophie Germain primes". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation. Retrieved 2016-05-29.
- "Sloane's A005385 : Safe primes". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation. Retrieved 2016-05-29.
- "Sloane's A109611 : Chen primes". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation. Retrieved 2016-05-29.
- "Sloane's A100827 : Highly cototient numbers". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation. Retrieved 2016-05-29.
- Hate Number Symbols: 83 - From A Visual Database of Extremist Symbols, Logos and Tattoos
- "Boers & Bernstein Soundboard". Retrieved 2016-07-18.