Jump to navigation Jump to search
- the sum of three consecutive primes (23 + 29 + 31).
- the sum of five consecutive primes (11 + 13 + 17 + 19 + 23).
- the 23rd prime number, following 79 (of which it is also a cousin prime) and preceding 89.
- a Sophie Germain prime.
- a safe prime.
- a Chen prime.
- an Eisenstein prime with no imaginary part and real part of the form 3n − 1.
- a highly cototient number.
- Messier object M83, a magnitude 8.5 spiral galaxy in the constellation Hydra, also known as the Southern Pinwheel Galaxy
- The New General Catalogue object NGC 83, a magnitude 12.3 elliptical galaxy in the constellation Andromeda
- When someone reaches 83 they may celebrate a second bar mitzvah
- M83 is the debut album of the French electronic music group M83
- 83 is a song written by John Mayer in the Room for Squares album.
- 83 is a Quebec hip-hop group
- 83 is a song produced by Maximono
In film and television
- Gypsy 83 is 2001 film directed by Todd Stephens
- Class of '83 is 2004 film directed by Kurt E. Soderling
- 83 Hours 'Til Dawn is a 1990 film directed by Donald Wrye
- 83 is the highest UHF channel on older televisions made before the late 1970s (newer televisions only go up to channel 69, due to the frequency spectrum previously assigned to channels 70-83 in the United States being reassigned to cellular phone service there in the late 1970s-early 1980s). As an example, the television station CIVIC-TV managed by the James Woods character Max Renn in the 1983 film Videodrome was on Channel 83.
In other fields
Eighty-three is also:
- The year AD 83, 83 BC, or 1983
- The TI-83 series, graphing calculators from Texas Instruments
- Konsept83 is a Greek graphic design team.
- The model number of Bell XP-83
- The number of the French department Var
- The ISBN Group Identifier for books published in Poland
- The eighth letter of the alphabet is H and the third letter is C, thus 83 stands for "Heil Christ," a greeting sometimes (not always) used by racist organizations that consider themselves also to be Christian. This symbology is also known to be used by many non-racist (though certainly religion-biased) Christians and non-denominational Churches.
- An emoticon based on :3 with wide-open eyes.
- "Sloane's A005384 : Sophie Germain primes". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation. Retrieved 2016-05-29.
- "Sloane's A005385 : Safe primes". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation. Retrieved 2016-05-29.
- "Sloane's A109611 : Chen primes". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation. Retrieved 2016-05-29.
- "Sloane's A100827 : Highly cototient numbers". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation. Retrieved 2016-05-29.
- "Hate Number Symbols: 83 - From A Visual Database of Extremist Symbols, Logos and Tattoos". Archived from the original on 2007-09-11. Retrieved 2007-09-24.