86th Street (IND Eighth Avenue Line)
|New York City Subway rapid transit station|
|Address||West 86th Street & Central Park West
New York, NY 10024
|Locale||Upper West Side|
|Line||IND Eighth Avenue Line|
|Services||A (late nights)
B (weekdays until 11:00 p.m.)
C (all except late nights)
|Transit connections||NYCT Bus: M10, M86 SBS|
|Platforms||2 side platforms (1 on each level)|
|Tracks||4 (2 on each level)|
|Opened||September 10, 1932 |
|Passengers (2015)||3,474,343 1.2%|
|Rank||147 out of 425|
|Next north||96th Street: A B C|
|Next south||81st Street – Museum of Natural History: A B C|
86th Street is a local station on the IND Eighth Avenue Line of the New York City Subway. Located at Central Park West and 86th Street on the Upper West Side, it is served by the C train at all times except nights, when the A train takes over service. The B train provides additional service here on weekdays except nights.
|G||Street Level||Exit / Entrance|
|B1||Northbound express||← do not stop here|
|Northbound local||← toward Bedford Park Boulevard rush hours, 145th Street other times (96th Street)
← toward 168th Street ( toward 207th Street late nights) (96th Street)
|Side platform, doors will open on the left|
|Mezzanine||Fare control, station agent, MetroCard vending machines|
|B2||Southbound express||→ do not stop here →|
|Southbound local||→ toward Brighton Beach (81st Street – Museum of Natural History) →
→ toward Euclid Avenue ( toward Far Rockaway late nights) (81st Street – Museum of Natural History) →
|Side platform, doors will open on the right|
This underground station, opened on September 10, 1932, has two levels with northbound trains on the upper level and southbound trains on the lower one. From west to east, each level has one side platform, one local track and one express track.
The platforms have no tile band and name tablets read "86TH ST." in white sans serif lettering on a Midnight blue background with a black border. There are small "86" and directional signs in white lettering on a black background. Blue I-beam columns run along both platforms at regular intervals with alternating ones having the standard black station name plate in white lettering.
Under the 2015–2019 MTA Capital Plan, the station, along with thirty other New York City Subway stations, will undergo a complete overhaul and would be entirely closed for up to 6 months. Updates would include cellular service, Wi-Fi, charging stations, improved signage, and improved station lighting.
This station has three fare control areas, all of which are on the upper level. The full-time one at 86th Street is at the south end and has a turnstile bank, token booth, and three street stairs. Right inside fare control, there is a staircase going down to the lower level. The station's other two entrances/exits are unstaffed. The one at 87th Street, at the center of the upper level, has a staircase connecting both platforms. The third fare control area at 88th Street has two HEET turnstiles and one exit-only turnstile. The staircase here formerly showed a blue diamond B, which was never used for service (an orange one was used in 1986-1988), but this has since been covered with decals indicating the correct services.
- One stair, NW corner of Central Park West and West 86th Street
- Two stairs, SW corner of Central Park West and West 86th Street
- One stair, NW corner of Central Park West and West 87th Street
- One stair, NW corner of Central Park West and West 88th Street
- New York Times, List of the 28 Stations on the New Eighth Ave Line, September 10, 1932, page 6
- "NYC Subway Wireless – Active Stations". Transit Wireless Wifi. Retrieved 2016-05-18.
- "Facts and Figures: Annual Subway Ridership". Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- Crowell, Paul (September 10, 1932). "Gay Midnight Crowd Rides First Trains In The New Subway: Throngs at Station an Hour Before Time, Rush Turnstiles When Chains are Dropped". New York Times. Retrieved 8 November 2015.
- "MTA Will Completely Close 30 Subway Stations For Months-Long "Revamp"". Gothamist. Retrieved 2016-07-18.
- "MTAStations" (PDF). governor.ny.gov. Government of the State of New York. Retrieved 2016-07-18.
- "MTA Neighborhood Maps: Upper West Side" (PDF). mta.info. Metropolitan Transportation Authority. 2015. Retrieved December 30, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 86th Street (IND Eighth Avenue Line).|
- nycsubway.org — IND 8th Avenue: 86th Street
- Station Reporter — B Train
- Station Reporter — C Train
- The Subway Nut — 86th Street Pictures
- 86th Street entrance from Google Maps Street View
- 87th Street exit only stairs from Google Maps Street View
- 88th Street entrance from Google Maps Street View
- Platform from Google Maps Street View