87th Ohio Infantry
|87th Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry|
|Active||June 10, 1862 to September 20, 1862|
|Engagements||Battle of Harpers Ferry|
The regiment left Ohio for Baltimore, Maryland, June 12, and performed duty in the defenses of that city until July 28. Attached to Railroad Brigade, VIII Corps, Middle Department. Ordered to Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, July 28, and attached to Miles' Command. Garrison duty in the defenses of Bolivar Heights until September. Skirmishes at Berlin [now Brunswick] and Point of Rocks, Maryland, September 4–5 (detachment). Defense of Harpers Ferry September 12–15. Surrender of Harpers Ferry September 15. Paroled September 16 and sent to Annapolis, Maryland.
The 87th Ohio mustered out of the service at Camp Chase on September 20, 1862.
The regiment lost a total of 6 enlisted men, 1 killed and 5 due to disease.
- Colonel Henry B. Banning - U.S. Representative from Ohio, 1873–1879
- Corporal William Wellington Corlett, Company D - delegate from Wyoming Territory, 1877–1879
- Commissary Sergeant John Philo Hoyt - fourth governor of Arizona Territory, 1877–1878; justice of the Washington Territory Supreme Court, 1879–1887; President of the Washington Constitutional Convention, 1889
- Carman, Ezra A.The Maryland Campaign of September 1862, ed. Thomas G. Clemens. (New York: Savas Beatie) 2010, pp. 212-213.
- Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion (Des Moines, IA: Dyer Pub. Co.), 1908.
- Ohio Roster Commission. Official Roster of the Soldiers of the State of Ohio in the War on the Rebellion, 1861–1865, Compiled Under the Direction of the Roster Commission (Akron, OH: Werner Co.), 1886–1895.
- Reid, Whitelaw. Ohio in the War: Her Statesmen, Her Generals, and Soldiers (Cincinnati, OH: Moore, Wilstach, & Baldwin), 1868. ISBN 9781166503925
- Carman, Ezra A. The Maryland Campaign of September 1862, ed. by Thomas G. Clemens. (New York, NY: Savas Beatie), 2010. ISBN 978-1-932714-81-4
- This article contains text from a text now in the public domain: Dyer, Frederick H. (1908). A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. Des Moines, IA: Dyer Publishing Co.