- 1 History
- 2 Poker games offered and player experience
- 3 Awards
- 4 The 888poker team
- 5 Live Poker Tournaments
- 6 References
- 7 External links
The poker provider was originally launched in 2002 as Pacific Poker and later rebranded 888poker. The site enjoyed early success due in part to a large number of players who joined from its more established sister site.
When the United States Congress passed the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA) in 2006, making illegal online gambling in the United States illegal, 888poker was forced to close its doors to all American gamblers. Changes to online gaming regulations in 2013 in some states has prompted return by 888 to the US market.
888poker has partnerships with several private gaming entities in Nevada, and New Jersey. Authorities in these states require that online casino providers join an offline partner in order to receive an operating license. On March 21, 2012, The Nevada Gaming Commission granted 888 a license as an Interactive Gaming Service Provider. 888 launched its online activity in Nevada officially on September 15, 2013.
On November 26, 2013, 888 successfully launched its online poker site for online poker players in New Jersey. 888 operates under a permit (permit number NJIGP 13-006 ) issued to its partner Caesars Interactive Entertainment (which is a subsidiary of Caesars Entertainment Corporation) to offer online gaming in New Jersey. Its poker offerings are available only in the state of New Jersey and to players who are at least 21 years old.
On May 2, 2013 888 announced that it has been selected by the Delaware Lottery as its Primary Vendor to operate internet gaming systems and services. 888 has signed a partnership agreement with Scientific Games, the largest technology provider for electronic lottery gaming in the United States as part of its operating license in the State of Delaware. The service is scheduled to become available to Delaware residents before the end of 2013.
In Denmark , 888poker was launched as a localized version in September 2015, after acquiring a license from the Gambling Authority. After launch, 888 Denmark manager in Denmark, Simon Ravn, said: "We have a slightly different approach to the Danish poker market than many of the other poker providers; we want to offer value to all our players, rather than focus on sign up bonuses and new customers", adding that "people still want to play poker and we think we can offer a new, fresh experience with us".
On June 15, 2012, the General Directorate for the Regulation of Gambling (DGOJ), published on its website the definitive list of operators licensed to operate in Spain, including 888 Spain plc. 888poker offers since its online products, combined with a series of live tournaments among which the SuperStack, with events in several Spanish cities in February in which distributed more than €400,000 in prize money during 2014. 
Poker games offered and player experience
The 888poker offering includes poker game variations such as Texas Hold’em, Omaha (High & Low) and 7 Card Stud Poker, along with Sit & Go and Tournament games. Products are available on all major platforms, including PC, Android, and Apple devices. A new version of the mobile app was launched on Aug 21, 2013, providing mobile access to multi table tournaments.
888poker was the first online poker provider to introduce poker tables with webcam integration to allow its members to socialize more with other players and to make the overall gaming experience more human.
Following 888poker’s upgrade of its mobile app in July 2013, the company's then CEO, Brian Mattingly, revealed in an interview that 888poker’s strong sales growth comes from the expanding mobile poker market. Mattingly stated that 17% of 888’s UK wagers in general are placed on mobile devices and hoped that the company’s UK mobile share will double in the next year and a half.
888poker’s loyalty programme, the 888poker Club, features daily free tournaments and offers players a chance to win $100,000 each month. Players also receive scratchcards for every five levels they climb.
|Best Digital Operator of a Gaming Platform, Global Gaming Awards||2016|
|Best Gaming Product||2012|
|Platform Operator of the Year, eGR Operator Awards||2011, 2012, 2013|
|Socially Responsible Operator of the Year, eGR Operator Awards||2010|
The 888poker team
A variety of professional poker players and celebrities act as brand ambassadors for 888poker. Among the prominent persons who have joined Team 888poker are Dominik Nitsche, Martin Jacobson, Chris Moorman, Sofia Lövgren, Kara Scott, Natalie Hof, Parker Talbot, Vivian Saliba former Australian international cricket bowler Shane Warne, UFC Welterweight champion George St. Pierre, and the former footballer Denílson.
Uruguayan footballer Luis Suárez also signed a contract with 888poker in 2014. However, the partnership was dissolved due to the events of the 2014 World Cup.
Live Poker Tournaments
888poker Live and XL Championships Series
888poker hosts the 888poker Live event several times a year, a series of poker tournaments held in several cities around the world. In addition, 888poker organizes three online legends - XL Inferno , XL Eclipse and XL Blizzard - collectively known as the XL Championships Series.
World Series of Poker
Super High Roller Bowl
In 2016, 2017 and 2018, 888poker was the main sponsor of the Super High Roller Bowl hosted by Poker Central at the Aria Resort & Casino in Las Vegas. This tournament was a buy-in of US$300,000, the second most expensive and the most expensive 2017 poker tournament worldwide.
World Poker Tour
- Pokerlistings.com: 888poker Becomes Second-Biggest Online Poker Site
- "888poker Network". Check'n Raise Poker.
- "888 Poker". iGaming.org.
- "888 partner with caesars for online poker launch in Nevada". Yahoo. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- "888 strikes New Jersey deal with Caesars". The Telegraph. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- "888poker set for launch in Nevada". Reuters. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- "NJ official site". 888 Poker. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- "Internet gaming permit holders" (PDF). NJ.gov. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- "888poker selected by Delaware for online gaming contract". Poker Update. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- Peter Bollerup Andersen (2015-12-05). "Klar til Danmark: 888Sport får comeback". BetXpert (in Danish).
- Simon Hoffmann Petersen (2016-05-18). "888 indtog København: "Det danske marked er en prioritet"". PNN.dk (in Danish).
- Operadores de juego con licencia para operar en España. Dirección General de Ordenación del Juego (in Spanish).
- 400.000 euros se repartieron en 888poker Super Stack 2014. soloazar.com.ar (in Spanish).
- "888poker". Company history. Retrieved 30 July 2014.
- "888 CEO announces mobile revenue rise". Online Casino Archives. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- "888 changing rewards programme, ditching rakeback". Gambling Insider. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- Andrew Radue (15 December 2012). "Best Digital Operator, Global Gaming Awards". winallpoker.com.
- 888 Operator Awards certificate 2013 at the Wayback Machine (archived 2016-03-05)
- 888 Awards Certificate at the Wayback Machine (archived 2013-11-01)
- "Chris Moorman joins Team888". pokerglobal.info. Retrieved 2016-12-19.
- Rainer Vollmar (2017-11-09). "Vivian Saliba ist neues Mitglied im Team 888poker". Hochge Pokert (in German).
- "Shane Warne joins 888poker team". Poker News. Retrieved 30 July 2014.
- "UFC champion Georges St. Pierre signs at 888poker". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 30 July 2014.
- Katie Callahan (2017-04-03). "888poker Launches New XL Championships Series". PokerNews.com.
- "888poker Partners with WSOP for 2017". PokerNews.com. 2017-02-14.
- Dirk Oetzmann (2017-04-27). "888poker Returns as Main Sponsor for Super High Roller Bowl". PokerListings.com.
- Rainer Vollmar (2017-11-09). "Tickets für die WPT Berlin – World Poker Tour und 888poker geben Kooperation bekannt". HochgePokert.com.
- Matthew Clark (2017-11-09). "World Poker Tour Joins Forces With 888poker And Announces Tournament of Champions Location". US Poker.