8th (Lucknow) Division
|8th (Lucknow) Division|
|Branch||British Indian Army|
|Part of||Northern Army|
The 8th (Lucknow) Division was a formation of the British Indian Army's Northern Army that was first formed as a result of the Kitchener reforms of the Indian Army in 1903. The Division remained in India on internal security duties during World War I, though the 8th (Lucknow) Cavalry Brigade was transferred to the 1st Indian Cavalry Division and served in France on the Western Front, and the 22nd Lucknow Infantry Brigade served as part of the 11th Indian Division in Egypt.
Division formation in 1914
- Commander: Major General Cookson
- Commander: Major General A. Wilson
- 3rd Battalion, Royal Fusiliers
- 1st Battalion, King's Own Scottish Borderers
- 17th Infantry (The Loyal Regiment)
- 36th Sikhs
- 74th Punjabis
- U Battery, Royal Horse Artillery
- V Brigade, Royal Field Artillery
- Commander: Brigadier General Kavangh
- Commander: Brigadier General Cowper
- 17th Cavalry
- 1st Battalion, Royal Scots
- 3rd Battalion, Middlesex Regiment
- 62nd Punjabis
- 92nd Punjabis
- Presidency Brigade was based in Calcutta.
- Commander: Major General May
- 2nd Battalion, Royal Fusiliers
- 2nd Battalion, King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster)
- 1st Battalion, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
- 11th Rajputs
- 22nd Punjabis
- 93rd Burma Infantry
- 2/10th Gurkha Rifles
- XVII Brigade RFA
- 10th, 26th and 92nd Batteries
- 51st and 62nd Companies RGA
- 5th Light Infantry – at Nowgong
- 113th Infantry – at Dibrugarh
- 123rd Outram's Rifles – at Manipur
- 1/8th Gurkha Rifles – at Shillong
- Oxford History of the British Army
- Chappell, PB. "8th (Lucknow) Division". The Regimental Warpath 1914 - 1918. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "Indian 8th Division: An Outline History" (PDF). orbat.com. 1 March 2006. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- Chappell, PB. "1st Indian Cavalry Division". The Regimental Warpath 1914 - 1918. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- Chappell, PB. "11th Indian Division". The Regimental Warpath 1914 - 1918. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- Watson, Dr. Graham (25 March 2001). "The Indian Army 1914". orbat.com. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- Haythornthwaite, Philip J. (1996). The World War One Source Book. London: Arms and Armour Press. ISBN 1-85409-351-7.
- Moberly, F.J. (1923). Official History of the War: Mesopotamia Campaign. London: Imperial War Museum. ISBN 1-870423-30-5.
- Perry, F.W. (1993). Order of Battle of Divisions Part 5B. Indian Army Divisions. Newport, Gwent: Ray Westlake Military Books. ISBN 1-871167-23-X.
- 8th (Lucknow) Division on The Regimental Warpath 1914 - 1918 by PB Chappell at the Wayback Machine (archived 17 May 2008)