90 Minutes in Heaven
|Author||Don Piper with Cecil Murphey|
|Subject||autobiographical life and death experience|
|Published||September 1, 2004|
90 Minutes in Heaven is a 2004 New York Times best-selling Christian book written by Don Piper with Cecil Murphey. The book documents the author's near-death experience in 1989. 90 Minutes in Heaven remained on the New York Times best-seller list for more than five years and has sold over six million copies. The book has also been adapted into a feature-length film, released in theaters on September 11, 2015.
On January 18, 1989, Baptist minister Don Piper was on his way home from a conference in Texas when a semi-trailer truck struck his Ford Escort while crossing a bridge. Piper states that he was crushed by the roof of his car, the steering wheel impaled his chest, and the dashboard collapsed on both of his legs. When paramedics arrived, they could find no sign of life in Piper and covered him with a tarp as a fellow pastor prayed over him while waiting for the medical examiner to arrive. According to Piper, he went straight to Heaven and experienced things he describes as amazing and beautiful, including meeting family members such as his great-grandmother and joining a Heavenly Choir that proceeded into the Gates of Heaven. Piper, an ordained minister since 1985, has recounted his narrative before 3,000 live audiences that included more than 1.5 million people and appeared on numerous television and radio programs.
- 23 Minutes in Hell, 2006 book by Bill Wiese recounting what the author believes were his experiences in Hell in 1998
- Eben Alexander, author of the 2012 book Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife
- The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven, a fabricated account of a near-death experience
- Heaven Is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back, 2010 book by Todd Burpo and Lynn Vincent about a near-death experience reported by Burpo's then-four-year-old son, Colton
- Howard Storm, author of the book My Descent Into Death about his near-death experience
- Pam Reynolds case
- "Piper’s ‘90 Minutes in Heaven’ back on ‘New York Times’ best-seller list". Christian Retailing. 25 April 2014.
- Robert Gottlieb (23 October 2014). "To Heaven and Back!". New York Review of Books.
- "90 Minutes in Heaven".
More than 4 million copies sold!
- Tim Challies. "Heaven Tourism". challies.com.
- Challies, Tim. "Book Review - 90 Minutes in Heaven". Challies. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- Driver, Ben. "90 Minutes in Heaven' headed to big screen". The Baptist Standard. Retrieved 10 May 2015.
- Driver, Ben. "Family Christian Entertainment 'To Be the Disney' of Faith-Based Films As '90 Minutes In Heaven' Enters Production". Christian Post. Retrieved 10 May 2015.
- Inbar, Michael (2009-09-28). "New study: What really happens when you die?". TODAY: Health. msnbc.com. Retrieved 29 December 2010.
- Piper, Don; Murphey, Cecil (2004-09-01). 90 Minutes in Heaven. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Revell Books. ISBN 978-0-8007-5949-0.
|This article related to a book about religion is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|