91.7 ABC Gold Coast
|City||Lower Beechmont, Queensland, Australia|
|Broadcast area||Gold Coast RA1|
|Branding||91.7 ABC Gold Coast|
|Slogan||It's where you live|
|Frequency||91.7 MHz FM|
|First air date||1983(as 4SO)|
|Callsign meaning||4 – Queensland
|Former frequencies||1593 kHz AM (1983–1989)|
|Owner||ABC Radio and Regional Content
(Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
|Website||91.7 ABC Gold Coast|
91.7 ABC Gold Coast (ACMA callsign: 4ABCRR) is an ABC Local Radio station. Based in the suburb of Mermaid Beach, the station broadcasts to the Gold Coast and surrounding hinterland in Queensland, covering as far south as Byron Bay in New South Wales.
The station started life in 1983 as 1593AM 4SO Gold Coast Rock and then became 91.7 ABC Coast FM when it began broadcasting on the FM band in 1989. Originally set-up to target the youth market, the station is now a news, current affairs and adult contemporary music station. In 2013 the station changed its name to 91.7 ABC Gold Coast in alignment with the nomenclature used for other ABC Local Radio stations across Australia.
Unlike most of the other ABC Local stations outside the capital cities, 91.7 ABC Gold Coast originates most of its own programming and has a higher music content. Breakfast, Mornings and Drive programs are a mix of music, news and current affairs. Afternoons are predominantly music based. Weekends are a combination of local and specialist programs, including sport with Grandstand.
Along with 90.3 ABC Sunshine Coast on the Sunshine Coast the station does not carry any of the ABC Rural programs such as The Country Hour. Both stations also uniquely rebroadcast the ABC’s digital only radio station DiG at certain times.
- 2:00am–6:00am Trevor Chappell (Monday to Thursday) or Rod Quinn (Friday), Overnights (broadcast nationally)
- 5:00am–7:45am Bern Young, Breakfast
- 8:00am–8:30am Michael Brissenden, AM (broadcast nationally)
- 8:30am–11:00am Nicole Dyer, Mornings
- 11:00am–12:00pm Richard Fidler, Conversations
- 12:00pm–1:00pm Eleanor Hall, The World Today (broadcast nationally)
- 1:00pm–3:00pm Kelly Higgins-Devine, Afternoons
- 3:00pm–6:00pm Matt Webber, Drive
- 6:00pm–7:00pm Mark Colvin, PM (Broadcast nationally)
- 7:00pm–10:00pm David Curnow, Evenings (broadcast throughout Queensland)
- 10:00pm–2:00am Tony Delroy, Nightlife (broadcast nationally)
- 6:00am-12:00pm Saturdays Amy McDonald
- 6:00am-10:00am Sundays Ian McNamarra
Andrew Arthur is the 91.7 ABC Gold Coast Chief of Staff.
- "GOLD COAST RA1" (PDF). Australian Communications and Media Authority. Retrieved 27 November 2015.
- "Radio and television broadcasting stations" (PDF). Australian Communications and Media Authority. Retrieved 27 November 2015.
- "About 91.7 Coast FM". ABC Online. 29 January 2010. Retrieved 29 July 2011.