91.7 ABC Gold Coast
|City||Lower Beechmont, Queensland, Australia|
|Broadcast area||Gold Coast RA1|
|Branding||91.7 ABC Gold Coast|
|Slogan||It's where you live|
|Frequency||91.7 MHz FM|
|First air date||1983(as 4SO)|
4 – Queensland|
1590 kHz AM (1952–1978)|
1593 kHz AM (1978–1989)
ABC Radio and Regional Content |
(Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
|Website||91.7 ABC Gold Coast|
91.7 ABC Gold Coast (ACMA callsign: 4ABCRR) is an ABC Local Radio station. Based in the suburb of Mermaid Beach, the station broadcasts to the Gold Coast and surrounding hinterland in Queensland, covering as far south as Byron Bay in New South Wales.
The station started life in 1952 as 4SO, operating as a relay from Toowoomba of the ABC Regional Network, transmitting on a frequency of 1590 kHz (changed in 1978 to 1593 kHz to fit in with the revised 9 kHz spacing).
Its persona changed dramatically in 1983 when it was branded as 1593AM 4SO Gold Coast Rock to target the youth market, then became 91.7 ABC Coast FM when it began broadcasting on the FM band in 1989. The station is now a news, current affairs and adult contemporary music station. In 2013 the station changed its name to 91.7 ABC Gold Coast in alignment with the nomenclature used for other ABC Local Radio stations across Australia.
- 5:00am–7:45am Bern Young, Breakfast (5:00am - 6:00am hour broadcast to ABC Radio Brisbane and ABC Sunshine Coast)
- 8:30am–11:00am Nicole Dyer, Mornings
- 3:00pm–6:00pm Matt Webber, Drive
- 6:00am-10:00am Julie Clift, Saturday Breakfast
Andrew Arthur is the 91.7 ABC Gold Coast Chief of Staff.
- "GOLD COAST RA1" (PDF). Australian Communications and Media Authority. Retrieved 27 November 2015.
- "Radio and television broadcasting stations" (PDF). Australian Communications and Media Authority. Retrieved 27 November 2015.
- "Broadcasting Station Official Opening 4SO Southport". South Coast Bulletin. , (1547). Queensland, Australia. 15 October 1952. p. 24. Retrieved 20 November 2017 – via National Library of Australia.
- "About 91.7 Coast FM". ABC Online. 29 January 2010. Retrieved 29 July 2011.