Poster for the anime series
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Hiro Kaburagi|
|Written by||Taku Kishimoto|
|Music by||Shōgo Kaida|
|Original network||TBS, MBS, CBC, BS-TBS|
|Original run||July 9, 2016 – October 1, 2016|
91 Days is a Japanese anime television series. Set during the Prohibition era, the series follows Angelo Lagusa and his quest to seek revenge against the Vanetti Family. The series aired from July 9, 2016 to October 1, 2016.
The story is set in the town of Lawless, Illinois during Prohibition in 1928, where brewed liquor dominates the black market. Angelo Lagusa, a young man whose family was murdered in a mafia dispute, seeks revenge against the Vanetti Family, particularly its don, Vincent Vanetti. After seven years in hiding following the night of the murder, Angelo receives an anonymous letter from a friend of his father's, prompting him to return to Lawless and exact his revenge. Under the name of Avilio Bruno, he begins to infiltrate the Vanetti Family by slowly befriending the don's son, Nero. However, in this dramatic 91-day story, revenge breeds revenge, and killing may yield drastic consequences. How will Angelo Lagusa and Nero Vanetti fare, in this tragic harvest field that they have only begun to sow?
- Avilio Bruno (アヴィリオ・ブルーノ, Avuirio Burūno)
- Voiced by: Takashi Kondō (Japanese); Austin Tindle (English)
- The main protagonist, whose real name is Angelo Lagusa. Seven years prior to the story, his family was murdered by the Vanetti Family. He has a severe hatred for the Vanetti family and hid for seven years until he received an anonymous letter to return to Lawless and exact his revenge. He plans every assassination cautiously until he finally manages to kill all the members of the Vanetti family, except one; Nero Vanetti, with whom he had made bonds of friendship.
- Nero Vanetti (ネロ・ヴァネッティ, Nero Vuanetti)
- Voiced by: Takuya Eguchi (Japanese); Ian Moore (English)
- The son of Vincent Vanetti, and one of Avilio's targets. He has a bright and positive personality, and he values his family above all else. He believes that The Vanetti family runs Lawless and that the Galassia Family is trying to force its way in. Seven years prior to the story, he shot and killed Testa Lagusa, Avilio's father, alongside Vincent Vanetti and Vanno Clemente. He believes in a family's pride, refusing to back down to the Orcos or the Galassias, no matter what, if they demand something that will demean his family. He later takes over the don of the Vanetti from his father Vincent.
- Vincenzo Vanetti (ヴィンセント・ヴァネッティ, Vuinsento Vuanetti)
- Voiced by: Kazuhiro Yamaji (Japanese); Jeremy Schwartz (English)
- The former don of the Vanetti Family and also Nero's father, known as Vincent Vanetti. He is rather considerate of his family and children. Seven years prior to the story, he went to the Lagusa residence along with Nero and Vanno Clemente in demand of Testa's ledger. The mafia dispute resulted in the deaths of the Lagusa Family after Vincent was wounded by Testa with a knife.
- Ganzo Alary (ガンゾ・アラリー, Ganzo Ararī)
- Voiced by: Masuo Amada (Japanese); Chris Messersmith (English)
- The left-hand man of Vincent. Not only is he the person who sent Avilio the anonymous letter to come to Lawless, but he was also the fourth man on the night of the murder of Avilio's family. He is a very greedy man and wants the higher-ups of his family to be taken care of by Avilio so he can have all the power, money, and women of Lawless to himself.
- Frate Vanetti (フラテ・ヴァネッティ, Furate Vuanetti)
- Voiced by: Kōtarō Nishiyama (Japanese); Justin Briner (English)
- Nero's younger brother, and the youngest son of Vincent Vanetti. He is willing to sacrifice anything to preserve peace between the mafia families. He is somewhat weak-willed, as he is even willing to kill his brother to preserve the peace. He believes that the Vanetti family cannot stand against the Galassia Family and that they should surrender to them without a fight. He is jealous of Nero's natural ability to do as he pleases, and even believes that Nero caused the chaos that caused the Galassia and Orco family to want him dead. He is Ronaldo's puppet, named the head of the Vanetti family after the Galassias forced Vincent to step down. However, due to Avilio's involvement in the Vanetti family, he gets Nero to kill Frate.
- Fio Vanetti (フィオ・ヴァネッティ, Fio Vuanetti)
- Voiced by: Hisako Tojo (Japanese); Alex Moore (English)
- Frate and Nero's sister. Her marriage with Ronaldo was pre-arranged to build relationships with the Galassia Family. She cares deeply for both her brothers and does not want either to die fighting each other.
- Vanno Clemente (ヴァンノ・クレメンテ, Vuan'no Kuremente)
- Voiced by: Daisuke Ono (Japanese); Newton Pittman (English)
- One of Nero Vanetti's closest friends, and one of Avilio's targets. Seven years prior to the story, he shot and killed Testa Lagusa, alongside Nero Vanetti. He was very close friends with Tronco, and after avenging the death of his friend with Avilio's help, he is secretly killed by Avilio.
- Barbero (バルベロ, Barubero)
- Voiced by: Takahiro Sakurai (Japanese); Aaron Roberts (English)
- Nero's subordinate who is calm and collected. He helps Nero make smart decisions for the family. He is killed by Ganzo when he discovers the truth about Avilio's plot after capturing him in the playhouse.
- Del Toro (デルトロ, Deru Toro)
- Voiced by: Kanehira Yamamoto (Japanese); Philip Weber (English)
- The right-hand man and bodyguard of Vincent. He has served under Vincent for many years since fighting in Europe. He gets stabbed by two Galassia family bodyguards before Avilio arrives to kill him.
- Tigre (ティグレ, Tigure)
- Voiced by: Kenji Hamada (Japanese); Jarrod Greene (English)
- A close friend of Nero. When the Vanetti family decided to form a truce with the Orco family under the condition that Nero died, he stands up for Nero and gets critically wounded in doing so. He is saved when Fango provided a doctor in exchange for helping him become the don of the Orco family.
- Arturo Tronco (アルトゥーロ・トロンコ, Arutoūro Toronko)
- Voiced by: Makoto Furukawa (Japanese); Joel McDonald  (English)
- One of Vanno's close friends who was murdered by Serpente. His death triggered the Vanetti family's hatred of the Orco family.
- Fango (ファンゴ, Fango)
- Voiced by: Kenjiro Tsuda (Japanese); Brandon Potter (English)
- A member of the Orco Family. He is ruthless and ambitious, willing to do whatever it takes to get what he wants. With help from Angelo and Nero, he overthrows Orco and becomes the don of the family. He wants the recipe for Corteo's Lawless Heaven brew as he was seeking to hit it rich with the imminent end of Prohibition. He forms a bargain with Corteo, who is trying to escape the fighting; he will protect Corteo, as long as he gives him the recipe and the location of Nero. But when Scuza provides the recipe of Lawless Heaven, seized by the FBI in a raid, he no longer had a need for Corteo. He initially tries to kill Corteo, but decides to leave him to the Vanettis, whom he had betrayed. But before he could inform them, Corteo kills him.
- Orco (オルコ, Oruko)
- Voiced by: Chafurin (Japanese); R. Bruce Elliott (English)
- The don of the Orco family. He is extremely fat and has an obsessive love for lasagna, often threatening chefs if they spoil it.
- Serpente (セルペンテ, Serupente)
- Voiced by: Yasuyuki Kase (Japanese); Jason Liebrecht (English)
- The man who killed Tronco. Vanno would go on to kill him, avenging Tronco's death. His corpse was secretly taken by the Vanetti family and sold to Scusa, sparking a war between the Vanetti and Orco families.
- The Galassia family controls most of Chicago and tries to grab hold of Lawless. The Vanetti and Orco families are not strong enough to go against them and often comply with what they ask.
- Galassia (ガラッシア, Garasshia)
- Voiced by: Hōchū Ōtsuka
- The don of the Galassia family based in Chicago.
- Strega Galassia (ストレガ・ガラッシア, Sutorega Garasshia)
- Voiced by: Subaru Kimura
- Don Galassia's nephew. He is secretly working with Gonzo to take down Vincent.
- Ronaldo Galassia (ロナルド・ガラッシア, Ronarudo Garasshia)
- Voiced by: Yūichi Nakamura (Japanese); David Trosko (English)
- A nephew of Don Galassia and Strega's cousin. He believes in the authority he has as a member of the Galassia family, using it to try and keep the other Mafia families under control. Angelo gets Fio to kill him and frame the murder on Frate.
- Testa Lagusa (テスタ・ラクーザ, Tesuta Ragūza)
- Voiced by: Satoshi Mikami (Japanese); J. Michael Tatum (English)
- Avilio's father who was killed by the Vanetti family. He knew about the deals going on between the Vanetti and Galassia families, and his family was murdered to keep this knowledge from being leaked out.
- Elena Lagusa (エレサ・ラクーザ, Erusa Ragūza)
- Voiced by: Kanami Satō (Japanese); Caitlin Glass (English)
- Avilio's mother who was killed by the Vanetti family.
- Luce Lagusa (ルーチェ・ラクーザ, Rūche Ragūza)
- Voiced by: Kaede Hondo (Japanese); Madeline Morris (English)
- Avilio's younger brother who was killed by the Vanetti family.
- Corteo (コルテオ, Koruteo)
- Voiced by: Sōma Saitō (Japanese); Brandon McInnis (English)
- Avilio's close childhood friend. He has developed an extremely delicious brew of alcohol called Lawless Heaven, which he starts to make for the Vanetti family. The only problem is that the ingredients and mixture are more complex than other brews. He is brought into the plot by Avilio. He later becomes very scared about the entire situation and hopes to try and find a way out. Avilio is forced to kill him to prevent Nero from getting suspicious after Corteo returned, thinking that Avilio might have been in danger.
- Scuza (スクーザ, Sukūza)
- Voiced by: Kōji Ishii (Japanese); Chad Cline (English)
- The corrupted Head of the Federal Bureau of Prohibition in Lawless. Through his investigation, he manages to dig up the recipe for Lawless Heaven. He is later killed by Fango.
- Delphy (デルフィ, Derufi)
- Voiced by: Hiroki Tōchi (Japanese); Mark Stoddard (English)
- A member of the Federal Bureau of Prohibition from Chicago who replaces Scuza. He has bold intentions to clean up the corruption and mafia in Lawless. He had been investigating bars all over town seeking to put liquor sales to a halt, thus limiting the income the Vanetti family can receive through the sale of Lawless Heaven. He subsequently drops his investigation after the Vanetti family threatened to kill his wife and daughter by staging an explosion of a vehicle that he believed they were in.
The anime was announced in March 2016. It is directed by Hiro Kaburagi and written by Taku Kishimoto, with animation by the studio Shuka. Tomohiro Kishi is designing the series' characters, and Shōgo Kaida is producing the music. The opening theme song, "Signal", is performed by TK from Ling tosite sigure, while the closing theme, "Rain or Shine", is performed by ELISA.
|No.||Title [a]||Original air date|
|1||"Night of the Murder"|
"Satsujin no Yoru" (Japanese: 殺人の夜)
|9 July 2016|
|After returning to the Lawless district seven years after the massacre of his family, Avilio gets reacquainted with an old friend and they both dive into a new way of life.|
|2||"Phantom of Falsehood"|
"Itsuwari no Gen'ei" (Japanese: いつわりの幻影)
|16 July 2016|
|The Vanetti family seeks revenge after the continued compromising of their smuggling routes leads to the death of one of their young runners; Avilio moves one step closer to completing his revenge.|
|3||"Where the Footfalls Lead"|
"Ashioto no Ikisaki" (Japanese: 足音の行先)
|23 July 2016|
|Tensions reach a boiling point once the Vanetti family begin to enact their "retaliation"; Nero is given an ultimatum.|
|4||"Losing to Win, and What Comes After"|
"Makete Katte, Sono Ato de" (Japanese: 敗けて勝って、その後で)
|30 July 2016|
|Avilio and Nero adjust to life on the run while an assassin tails them; Avilio notices a discrepancy between the letter and his memory of the massacre.|
|5||"Blood Will Have Blood"|
"Chi wa Chi o Yobu" (Japanese: 血は血を呼ぶ)
|6 August 2016|
|The Orco family calls for a truce after failing to take out Fango. The conditions, however, end up being less than favorable for some parties.|
|6||"To Slaughter a Pig"|
"Buta o Koroshi ni" (Japanese: 豚を殺しに)
|13 August 2016|
|Avilio, Nero and his men move forward with getting rid of Don Orco; Avilio talks with Colteo about the letter.|
|7||"A Poor Player"|
"Aware na Yakusha" (Japanese: あわれな役者)
|20 August 2016|
|Increasing pressure from Ronaldo and a nudge from Avilio causes a schism within the Vanetti family.|
"Mijikai Rōsoku" (Japanese: 短いローソク)
|27 August 2016|
|A recap of the previous episodes.|
|8||"Behind the Curtain"|
"Tobari no Kage" (Japanese: 帳の陰)
|3 September 2016|
|The new head of the Bureau of Prohibition cracks down on the feuding families; Fango becomes don in place of Orco and aims to crush the Vanettis.|
|9||"Black and Deep Desires"|
"Kurozun da Yabō" (Japanese: 黒ずんだ野望)
|10 September 2016|
|Nero becomes the new Don of the Vanetti family in the aftermath of Corteo's actions; Avilio deduces the identity of the fourth man.|
|10||"Proof of Good Faith"|
"Seijitsu no Akashi" (Japanese: 誠実の証)
|17 September 2016|
|Avilio and Ganzo discuss motives, leverage and future plans shortly before Avilio revisits his hometown en route to a business deal with the Galassias in Chicago.|
|11||"All for Nothing"|
"Subete ga Muda-Goto" (Japanese: すべてがむだごと)
|24 September 2016|
|Don Galassia and his nephew, Strega, arrive in Lawless for the grand opening of the playhouse as final preparations are made for the big show.|
|12||"Slipping Through the Dirty Sky"|
"Yogore ta Sora o Kaikuguri" (Japanese: 汚れた空をかいくぐり)
|1 October 2016|
|Avilio and Nero take a trip to see the Atlantic Ocean against a backdrop of warring families and a dying empire.|
|13||"Tomorrow, and Tomorrow"||5 July 2017|
|Three short flashback stories featuring Nero as an adolescent, Vincent meeting Ganzo and Testa for the first time, and Avilio tending to a sick Nero while on the run.|
- All English titles are taken from Crunchyroll.
- "91 Days Original TV Anime Introduces Characters, Cast in New Promo Video". Anime News Network. 19 May 2016. Retrieved 19 May 2016.
- "Fall 2016 SimulDub™ English Cast Announcements – For The Love of Dubs - Funimation – Blog!". www.funimation.com. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Durarara's Shuka Makes Prohibition-Era Revenge TV Anime 91 Days". Anime News Network. 23 March 2016. Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- "TK from Ling Tosite Sigure, ELISA Perform 91 Days Theme Songs". Anime News Network. 29 May 2016. Retrieved 29 May 2016.
- Chapman, Paul (19 May 2016). "Teaser for Crime Drama TV Anime "91 Days" Reveals Voice Cast". Crunchyroll. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- "Crunchyroll to Stream 91 Days, Taboo Tattoo, Orange, Mob Psycho 100, Sweetness & Lightning, Alderamin on the Sky". Anime News Network. 21 June 2016. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- "Funimation Announces Fall English Dub Line-Up". Anime News Network. 4 October 2016. Retrieved 8 October 2016.