92nd Academy Awards
|92nd Academy Awards|
|Date||February 9, 2020|
Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, United States
|TV in the United States|
The 92nd Academy Awards ceremony, presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), will honor the best films of 2019 and will take place at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California. After more than a decade of previously holding the Academy Award ceremonies in at least late February, the 92nd Academy Awards will be held earlier on February 9, 2020. During the ceremony, AMPAS will present Academy Awards (commonly referred to as Oscars) in 24 categories. The ceremony will be televised in the United States by ABC.
|Sunday, October 27, 2019||Governors Awards|
|Thursday, January 2, 2020||Nominations voting opens|
|Tuesday, January 7, 2020||Nominations voting close|
|Monday, January 13, 2020||Nominations announced|
|Monday, January 27, 2020||Nominees Luncheon|
|Thursday, January 30, 2020||Final voting begins|
|Tuesday, February 4, 2020||Final polls close|
|Sunday, February 9, 2020||92nd Academy Awards presentation|
Winners and nominees
The Academy will hold its 11th annual Governors Awards ceremony on October 27, 2019, where the following awards will be presented:
Academy Honorary Awards
- David Lynch – American director and screenwriter
- Wes Studi – Cherokee-American actor
- Lina Wertmüller – Italian director and screenwriter
Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award
During its board of directors meeting in April 2019, the Academy voted to rename the "Best Foreign Language Film" category to "Best International Feature Film". Animated and documentary films will also be eligible for the renamed award, but the category will still require nominees to have the majority of their dialogue be in a language other than English.
- "Key Dates for the 92nd Oscars Announced". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. September 5, 2018. Retrieved March 2, 2019.
- Wilkinson, Alissa (August 8, 2018). "The Oscars are adding a category for "popular films"". Vox. Retrieved June 9, 2019.
Beginning in 2020, the Oscars will be held about two weeks earlier than usual. The 2019 ceremony is still scheduled for February 24; the 2020 ceremony will be held on February 9
- "The Academy to Honor Geena Davis, David Lynch, Wes Studi and Lina Wertmüller at 2019 Governors Awards". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved June 3, 2019.
- Kay, Jeremy. "Academy leaves Netflix eligibility rule intact, changes name of foreign language category". Screen. Retrieved 2019-04-24.
- Donnelly, Matt (2019-04-24). "Netflix Can Chill: Academy Rules No Change in Streaming Oscar Eligibility". Variety. Retrieved 2019-04-24.
- "Foreign Language Film Award Renamed 'International Feature Film Award'". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. April 23, 2019. Retrieved May 25, 2019.