947 (radio station)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Broadcast area||Gauteng (Terrestrial FM)
Africa (DStv Satellite )
|Slogan||Joburg's No. 1 Hit Music Station|
|First air date||September 1, 1964|
|Sister stations||94.5 Kfm|
|Webcast||[rtmp://220.127.116.11/highveld/highveld.stream Live stream] (RTMP)|
The station first went on the air on September 1, 1964, as the first SABC regional FM service, Radio Highveld. At that time the station broadcast hourly news bulletins and easy listening music. In September 1996 the SABC sold Radio Highveld to private enterprise.
On 1 September 2014 the station decided to drop the logo that they have been using for over a decade. The station is also no longer known as Highveld Stereo as the name changed to being just 947.
Format and Programming
947 (formerly 94.7 Highveld Stereo) is arguably the Gauteng province's most popular radio station, broadcasting the often controversial Rude Awakening breakfast show, which was hosted by Jeremy Mansfield. The target listener demographic is aimed at 25- to 40-year-olds, and as such the station tends to play contemporary "soft" rock, current pop hits as well as a few classics. 947 also makes a point of giving airtime to local South African musical talent. Other useful services to listeners include news bulletins and traffic reports for Johannesburg and Pretoria.
Revamped Breakfast Show
On 2 August 2010 the station revamped the morning show by renaming it Breakfast Xpress and appointing Darren Simpson (also known as "Whackhead") as the new front-man in place of Jeremy Mansfield. Mansfield left the morning show (better known as "The Rude Awakening" or "RAW") in July 2010 stating "The show needs to move forward and I don't see a role for myself in the new product offering. Management and the board have asked if I would assist with off air initiatives, which I am happy to do for the foreseeable future.". The format of the new breakfast show remains largely unchanged with the rest of the original team remaining as is.
- Anele Mdoda
- Darren Simpson
- Stacey Norman
- Greg and Lucky
- Mac G
- Sizwe Dhlomo
- Zweli B
- Karabo Ntshweng
- Alex Caige
- Nick Explicit
- Alex Jay
- Rob Vember
- Julio Garcia
- Bongi Mbelu
- Steven Ingram
- Hercshel Mutuwa
947 (formerly 94.7Highveld Stereo) is well known for sponsoring and promoting many charity and social events in Gauteng, including the Momentum 947 Cycle Challenge and the Rude Awakening Christmas Wish.
Zuma vs. Highveld
In response to Darren Simpson's parody of South African Deputy President Jacob Zuma's ongoing rape trial of 2006 –for which Zuma was acquitted– Zuma filed a defamation lawsuit on 30 June 2006, for the sum of R 5 million. Zuma originally filed for R 2 million, but this was upped when Highveld Stereo re-broadcast the allegedly offensive skit.
702 and 94.7 vs. Forum of Black Journalists
In early 2008 Highveld together with their sister station Radio 702 submitted a complaint to the South African Human Rights Commission after the Forum of Black Journalists refused white journalists entry to a lunch with ANC President Jacob Zuma.
|7 Day||Ave. Mon-Fri|
|Feb 2013||1 380 000||708 000|
|Dec 2012||1 354 000||679 000|
|Oct 2012||1 421 000||717 000|
|Aug 2012||1 522 000||776 000|
|Jun 2012||1 450 000||736 000|
- 94.7 Cycle Challenge
- Jacob Zuma
- Independent Communications Authority of South Africa
- Broadcasting Complaints Commission of South Africa
- "MediaLibrary's History of SA Media...Media Sector...Broadcast". IBIS Media Data Services (Pty) Ltd. Archived from the original on 2008-06-08. Retrieved 2008-11-19.
- Alexander, Mary. "South Africa's radio stations". SAinfo. Archived from the original on 17 October 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-19.
- "Zuma to sue SA media for libel". BBC. 2006-07-04. Retrieved 2008-11-19.
- Swart, Werner (2006-07-03). "Zuma sues media". The Citizen. Retrieved 2008-11-19.
- "In respect of its public hearing relating to the Forum of Black Journalists and the issue of exclusive organisations" (PDF). Primedia Broadcasting. 2008. Retrieved 2008-11-19.
- The Annual Guide to Radio in South Africa (AdVantage 2012). Media 24. 2012.
- SAARF RAMS (Presentations)
- Highveld Stereo Webpage
- [rtmp://18.104.22.168/highveld/highveld.stream Live Audio Feed] (requires player capable of handling RTMP)
- Mark Pilgrim's website
- 94.7 Highveld Stereo Live Streaming
- SAARF Website
- Sentech Website