From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 942. For the number, see 942 (number).
|Centuries:||9th century – 10th century – 11th century|
|Decades:||910s 920s 930s – 940s – 950s 960s 970s|
|Years:||939 940 941 – 942 – 943 944 945|
|942 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1695|
|Chinese calendar||辛丑年 (Metal Ox)
3638 or 3578
— to —
壬寅年 (Water Tiger)
3639 or 3579
|- Vikram Samvat||998–999|
|- Shaka Samvat||864–865|
|- Kali Yuga||4043–4044|
|Japanese calendar||Tengyō 5
|Minguo calendar||970 before ROC
|Seleucid era||1253/1254 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1484–1485|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 942.|
- Kaminarimon, the eight-pillared gate to Japan's Kinryuzan Sensouji Temple, is erected.
- The Chavda Kingdom is overthrown in Gujarat, India.
- December 17 – William I, Duke of Normandy, is ambushed by supporters of Arnulf I, Count of Flanders while the two are at a peace conference to settle their differences.
- Hywel Dda, king of Deheubarth, annexes Gwynedd and Powys to become ruler of most of Wales.
- A Hungarian army attacks the Arabic Spain. They besiege the cities of Lerida, Cerdagna, Huesca, than they capture Yahya ibn Muhammad ibn al Tawil, the ruler of the town Barbastro.
- February 13 – Muhammad ibn Ra'iq, amir al-umara
- Pope Stephen VIII
- King Idwal Foel of Gwynedd
- December 17 – William I of Normandy
- Gaozu of Later Jin, founder of the Later Jin Dynasty in China (b. 892)
- Liu Yan of the Southern Han Kingdom