94th Academy Awards
|94th Academy Awards|
|Date||March 27, 2022|
Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|TV in the United States|
The 94th Academy Awards ceremony, presented by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), will honor the best films released between March 1 and December 31, 2021, and is scheduled to take place at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California on March 27, 2022. This will be the first time since 2018 that the ceremony will be held in March to avoid conflicting with the Winter Olympics.
Due to the continued impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on cinema, the modified eligibility criteria from the 93rd Academy Awards will remain in force—such as those on direct-to-digital releases and additional flexibility for eligible theatrical runs in cities besides Los Angeles. The eligibility period will end as normal on December 31, 2021; as the 93rd Academy Awards had been postponed to allow a two-month extension of eligibility through the end of February 2021, only films released since March 1, 2021 will be eligible. The nominations will be announced on February 8, 2022.
In April 2020, the Academy announced that the Best Picture category at the 94th Academy Awards would have 10 nominees; since the 84th Academy Awards, between five and ten films have been nominated for Best Picture, based on the outcome of the ballot process. The minimum amount of original music required for eligibility in Best Original Score has been reduced from 60% to 35%. Submissions for Best Original Song are being capped at five songs per film. The nomination process for Best Sound will now have a preliminary round with 10 nominees. In addition, the shortlists will expand from 10 to 15 films in the categories of Best Animated Short Film, Best Documentary Short Subject, and Best Live Action Short Film.
The list of nominations will be revealed on February 8, 2022. The ceremony is scheduled to be held on March 27, 2022 at the Dolby Theatre; it was reported that the date had been chosen as to not clash with the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing (which runs from February 4–20, 2022), and Super Bowl LVI (which is being hosted in the Los Angeles area on February 13, 2022).
|Friday, December 10, 2021||Preliminary voting opens|
|Wednesday, December 15, 2021||Preliminary voting closes|
|Tuesday, December 21, 2021||Oscar Shortlists Announcement|
|Friday, December 31, 2021||Eligibility period closes|
|Saturday, January 15, 2022||The Governors Awards|
|Thursday, January 27, 2022||Nominations voting opens|
|Tuesday, February 1, 2022||Nominations voting closes|
|Tuesday, February 8, 2022||Nominations announced|
|Monday, March 7, 2022||Nominations Luncheon|
|Thursday, March 17, 2022||Final voting begins|
|Tuesday, March 22, 2022||Final polls close|
|Sunday, March 27, 2022||94th Academy Awards presentation|
- Samuel L. Jackson – "Sam Jackson is a cultural icon whose dynamic work has resonated across genres and generations and audiences worldwide"
- Elaine May – "For Elaine May’s bold, uncompromising approach to filmmaking, as a writer, director and actress"
- Liv Ullmann – "Liv Ullmann’s bravery and emotional transparency has gifted audiences with deeply affecting screen portrayals"
- Danny Glover – "Glover's decades-long advocacy for justice and human rights reflects his dedication to recognizing our shared humanity on and off the screen"
- "Film and TV Projects Going Into Production - 94th Annual Academy Awards". Variety Insight. Archived from the original on August 31, 2021. Retrieved August 31, 2021.
- "THE ACADEMY AND ABC SET MARCH 27, 2022 AS NEW SHOW DATE FOR 94TH OSCARS®". Oscars.org | Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. May 26, 2021. Retrieved June 12, 2021.
- Thompson, Anne (May 27, 2021). "Oscars 2022: The Academy Lines Up Dates, Keeps 2021 Pandemic Eligibility Rules". IndieWire. Retrieved May 27, 2021.
- Davis, Clayton (May 27, 2021). "Oscars 2022 Ceremony Moves to Late March, Keeping Pandemic Qualifying Rules and Standard Calendar Year". Variety. Retrieved May 27, 2021.
- "When Are The Oscars 2022? The 94th Oscars Ceremony Will Take Place Sunday, March 27, 2022". www.abc.com. Retrieved December 3, 2021.
- Thompson, Anne (June 12, 2020). "Academy Moves to 10 Best Picture Oscar Noms for 2022, but for 2021, Oscar Date Still a Question". IndieWire. Retrieved May 27, 2021.
- Hammond, Pete (June 30, 2021). "Oscars: Academy Sets Rules And Regulations For 94th Awards; 10 Best Picture Nominees, Plus Changes In Music And Sound Categories". Deadline. Retrieved June 30, 2021.
- Grein, Paul (June 30, 2021). "Motion Picture Academy Announces New Music Category Rules for 2022 Oscars". Billboard. Retrieved July 1, 2021.
- Hammond, Pete (April 28, 2020). "Oscars Keeping Show Date But Make Big News As Academy Lightens Eligibility Rules, Combines Sound Categories, Ends DVD Screeners and More". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on May 23, 2020. Retrieved May 6, 2020.
- Lang, Bret (October 5, 2021). "Academy Awards: Will Packer to Produce 94th Oscars Broadcast". Variety. Retrieved October 5, 2021.
- "Oscars to honor Elaine May, Danny Glover, Samuel L. Jackson". ABC News. Retrieved June 24, 2021.