From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 961. For the number, see 961 (number). For the international calling code, see Telephone numbers in Lebanon.
|This article does not cite any sources. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Centuries:||9th century – 10th century – 11th century|
|Decades:||930s 940s 950s – 960s – 970s 980s 990s|
|Years:||958 959 960 – 961 – 962 963 964|
|961 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1714|
|Chinese calendar||庚申年 (Metal Monkey)
3657 or 3597
— to —
辛酉年 (Metal Rooster)
3658 or 3598
|- Vikram Samvat||1017–1018|
|- Shaka Samvat||883–884|
|- Kali Yuga||4062–4063|
|Japanese calendar||Tentoku 5 / Ōwa 1
|Minguo calendar||951 before ROC
|Seleucid era||1272/1273 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1503–1504|
- Ani (present-day Turkey) becomes the capital of Armenia under the Bagratuni dynasty.
- The Huqiu Tower is built in China (often called the Chinese Leaning Tower of Pisa).
- March 6 – Byzantine reconquest of Chandax by Nikephoros Phokas, end of the Emirate of Crete
- Battle of Fitjar: Haakon the Good squashes the rebelling forces of Eric Bloodaxe's sons, but is killed.
- Harald Greycloak becomes ruler of the western part of Norway.
- St Paul's Cathedral in London is destroyed by fire.
- Al-Hakam II starts to rule.
- Before this year – Textile with elephants and camels, known today as the Suaire de Saint-Josse, from Khurasan or Central Asia, is made. It was preserved in the Church of Saint-Josse-sur-Mer, near Caen in Normandy. It is now kept at the Louvre, Paris.
- January 15 – Seongjong of Goryeo, Korean ruler (d. 997)
- Edith of Wilton, English nun and saint (d. 984)
- Sigmundur Brestisson, chieftain in the Faroe Islands (d. 1005)
- King Haakon the Good of Norway
- Abd-ar-Rahman III, Caliph of Córdoba
- Emperor Yuanzong of Southern Tang (China)
- Abu'l-Qasim Unujur ibn al-Ikhshid, Ikhshidid ruler