|This article does not cite any sources. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|AD 97 by topic|
|Gregorian calendar||AD 97
|Ab urbe condita||850|
|Balinese saka calendar||18–19|
|Chinese calendar||丙申年 (Fire Monkey)
2793 or 2733
— to —
丁酉年 (Fire Rooster)
2794 or 2734
|Coptic calendar||−187 – −186|
|- Vikram Samvat||153–154|
|- Shaka Samvat||18–19|
|- Kali Yuga||3197–3198|
|Iranian calendar||525 BP – 524 BP|
|Islamic calendar||541 BH – 540 BH|
|Julian calendar||AD 97
|Minguo calendar||1815 before ROC
|Seleucid era||408/409 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||639–640|
223 or −158 or −930
— to —
224 or −157 or −929
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to AD 97.|
AD 97 (XCVII) was a common year starting on Sunday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Augustus and Rufus (or, less frequently, year 850 Ab urbe condita). The denomination AD 97 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- October 28 – Emperor Nerva recalls his general Marcus Ulpius Trajanus, age 44, from the German frontier and is forced by the Praetorian Guard to adopt him as his successor.
- Tacitus advances to consulship.
- The Roman colony of Cuicul is started in Numidia.
- Nerva recognizes the Sanhedrin of Jamnia as an official governmental body of the Jews, and the patriarch or nasi is designated as the representative of the Jewish people in Rome.
- Chinese general Ban Chao orders his lieutenant, Gan Ying, to establish regular relations with the Parthians.
- Pope Evaristus succeeds Pope Clement I as the fifth pope (according to Catholic tradition; none of the Popes until the mid second century is certain).
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2016)|