98.4 Capital FM
|First air date||
1996repeater = 93.0 Western Kenya
Its offices are situated on the 19th floor of Lonrho House, along Standard Street in the central business district of Nairobi, the capital and largest city in Kenya. The coordinates of the radio station are:1°17'06.0"S, 36°49'22.0"E (Latitude:-1.285013; Longitude:36.822767).
Established in 1996 shortly after the liberalisation of Kenyan airwaves, it was the second FM station to be opened after 101.9 Metro FM, and although several other FM stations have continued to crop up, catering to all tastes, 98.4 Capital FM continues to be a popular station especially among the middle-class and upper-class markets. The presenters play a mixture of hip hop, RnB, rock, neo soul, new jack swing, world music, jazz, techno and dance music. Capital FM now caters to Mombasa, Western Kenya, as well as the international community, via its new website.
When President Barack Obama visited Kenya in July 2015, he gave an exclusive one-on-one interview on 98.4 Capital FM, one of the only two one-on-one radio interviews that he gave during that visit.
Many of Kenya's biggest radio presenters all began at Capital FM – which has earned it the slogan – the home of nurturing radio talent. These include:
- Phil Matthews – head of The Radio Academy
- Sean Cardovillis – now working at Nation Media Group
- Jimmi Gathu – lead breakfast TV presenter at K24
- Caroline Mutoko – Marketing Manager at Kiss FM
- Zain Verjee – Anchor now with CNN
- Jo Thoenes – breakfast presenter in the UK
- Patricia Amira – of the Patricia show at KBC
- Alex Belfield – a radio DJ from the UK
- Fareed Khimani – Director at Nusu-Nusu Productions Limited, Executive Producer of MNET's Mashriki Mix Magazine show, and a radio presenter at 105.5 FM, Nairobi
- Seanice Kacungira – a businesswoman in Kampala, Uganda
- Eve D'Souza
- Gaetano Kagwa – Ugandan personality who gained fame due to his participation in the Big Brother Africa competition
- Nini Wacera
- Italia Masiero
- Preety aka Herpreet Jaswal
- Disk jockey Dr. Vey, Nairobi, Kenya
Fareed Khimani and Seanice Kacungira hosted a mornin show from 2006 until 2009, which had a wide audience with high ratings.
- Suleiman Munyua AKA Soulo - Currently a Copy Writer still at Capital FM and can still be heard on The jam Every Last Friday of the Month with Charles Kiaria and martin Kariuki; The Boys with the Jam.
Capital Digital Media (CDM)
Capital Digital Media is a section within the Capital FM company that deals with online and digital media presence. This includes digital sales and advertising, web development, video production and social media strategy.
- CRC (2015). "Cyberoam Case Study on Capital FM Kenya" (PDF). Cyberoam.com (CRC). Retrieved 29 March 2016.
- Google (29 March 2016). "Location of 98.4 Capital FM, Nairobi, Kenya" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
- Kaberia, Judie (29 July 2015). "Kenya: Making of the POTUS Interview By Capital FM". Nairobi: 98.4 Capital FM. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
- Nsehe, Mfonobong (16 November 2011). "Meet Chris Kirubi, Mr. Kenya". Forbes.com. Retrieved 29 March 2016.