|Single by Keith|
|from the album 98.6/Ain't Gonna Lie|
|B-side||"The Teeny Bopper Song"|
|Label||Mercury Records 72639|
|Songwriter(s)||George Fischoff, Tony Powers|
|Keith singles chronology|
"98.6" is a song written by Tony Powers (lyrics) and George Fischoff (music) and performed by Keith. The song reached No. 7 on the Billboard chart and No. 24 on the UK Singles Chart in 1967. The song appeared on his 1967 album 98.6/Ain't Gonna Lie. The Tokens, who had provided the backing vocals on Keith's debut single, "Ain't Gonna Lie", also provided the backing vocals for "98.6".
The song was produced by Jerry Ross and arranged by Joe Renzetti. It sold over one million copies worldwide, earning a gold disc. The track's title relates to the normal human body temperature in degrees Fahrenheit. The personnel on "98.6" included Artie Butler on organ and piano, Vinnie Bell on guitar, Joe Macko on bass, and Bobby Gregg on drums. The song also features a brass section of trumpets and trombones as well. The song is noted for its slow piano introduction, before the rhythm changes to the 6/8 rhythm.
- The Bystanders released a cover version in January 1967. It reached No. 45 on the UK Singles Chart. It was featured in the 2009 movie, The Boat That Rocked.
- Lesley Gore released a version as a medley with another Powers and Fischoff composition "Lazy Day" in May 1969. The song went to No. 36 on the U.S. adult contemporary chart.
- David McCallum recorded a cover version on his 1968 album McCallum.
- Venezolan singer Enrique Guzmán recorded a cover version in Spanish, as did Spanish band Los Ángeles.
- Australian Radio Station smoothfm re-recorded a version of this song and replaced 98.6 with their on air frequencies of 95.3 and 91.5. Australian recording artist Rick Price sings vocals on the new version.
- Murrells, Joseph (1978). The Book of Golden Discs (2nd ed.). London: Barrie and Jenkins Ltd. p. 207. ISBN 0-214-20512-6.
- "98.6 (song by Keith [American pop singer]) • Music VF, US & UK hits charts". Musicvf.com. 1967-01-28. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- "Official [U.K.] Singles Chart Top 50: 16-22 February 1967". www.officialcharts.com. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- "Keith (2) - 98.6 / Ain't Gonna Lie (Vinyl, LP, Album)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- "Keith [American pop singer] Songs ••• Top Songs / Chart Singles Discography ••• Music VF, US & UK hits charts". Musicvf.com. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- "Keith - 98.6 / The Teeny Bopper Song - Mercury - USA - 72639". 45cat.com. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- The Body Temperature Retrieved January 16, 2016.
- "The Bystanders - 98.6 / Stubborn Kind Of Fellow - Piccadilly - UK - 7N 35363". 45cat.com. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- "98.6 - The Bystanders ( featured in `The Boat That Rocked` film ) - Free MP3 & Video Download". Clip.dj. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- "Lesley Gore - Summer Symphony / 98.6 / Lazy Day - Mercury - USA - 72931". 45cat.com. 2015-01-29. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- "98.6 / Lazy Day (song by Lesley Gore) ••• Music VF, US & UK hits charts". Musicvf.com. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
|This 1960s single-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|