98.8 Castle FM
|Branding||Community radio for Edinburgh|
|First air date||7 May 2007|
|Owner||Leith Community Mediaworks Ltd [dormant]|
98.8 Castle FM is now broadcasting online only.
98.8 Castle FM (formerly Leith FM) is a community radio station, covering the area of Leith in Edinburgh, Scotland. The station was first set up in 2007 and was made available on 98.8FM throughout Edinburgh and its surrounding area as well as online. Leith FM aimed to strengthen the community spirit and the identity of Leith.
On 23 March 2012, the station changed its name to 98.8 Castle FM with the strapline 'Edinburgh's bigger local mix' serving the community of the Capital. The licence-holding company (Leith Community Mediaworks Ltd) filed accounts in 2012 as a dormant company with no assets.
As of mid-December 2013 Castle FM is broadcasting on an automated playout without presenters, not originating in the studio, after it lost access to the property used for the station. This is reportedly related to long-standing rent and power bill arrears which forced the landlord to take back control of the premises. The station also ceased streaming online at the same time.
No official presenters at Dec 2013
Recent former presenters:
- Ally D
- Donnie Hughes
- Ewan Irvine
- John Leslie
- Lenny Love
- Matt Shields-Brown
- Penny Jackson
- Ray McMahon
- Richard (Ricky) & Carly Templeman
- Tony McQue
Former notable presenters
- Wayne Madden, who writes for US magazine Sick Drummer, also presented a show with Leith FM from June 2008 until November 2009
- Old Jock Radio CEO, Les Bell occasionally broadcast shows from the Leith FM studios in 2008 to 2009.
- Andy Malarky, now an events compère and part-time broadcast editor previously presented the 98.8 Castle FM breakfast show in 2012. He has since been known for covering as a travel presenter on Radio Forth.
- Ewan Irvine now co-hosts a show on the popular Radio Saltire station.
- Craig Gornall, who writes for Time Out, Alive & Amplified and now presents a local music show on Shore Radio
As well as a colourful logo, jingles are made by Bespoke Music.