From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 984. For the number, see 984 (number).
|Centuries:||9th century – 10th century – 11th century|
|Decades:||950s 960s 970s – 980s – 990s 1000s 1010s|
|Years:||981 982 983 – 984 – 985 986 987|
|984 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1737|
|Chinese calendar||癸未年 (Water Goat)
3680 or 3620
— to —
甲申年 (Wood Monkey)
3681 or 3621
|- Vikram Samvat||1040–1041|
|- Shaka Samvat||905–906|
|- Kali Yuga||4084–4085|
|Japanese calendar||Eikan 2
|Minguo calendar||928 before ROC
|Seleucid era||1295/1296 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1526–1527|
- Emperor Kazan succeeds Emperor En'yū on the throne of Japan.
- The Song Dynasty Chinese engineer Qiao Wei innovates the first known use of the double-gated canal pound lock for adjusting different water levels in segments of the Grand Canal of China. This dramatically helps the passage of ships in segments with rougher waters leading slightly downhill. Qiao also has roof hangers built over the segments where double gates are installed, increasing the amount of safety for passing ships.
- Henry II, Duke of Bavaria abducts the child king Otto III.
- The settlement of Greenland is established by the Norse.
- Ch'oe Ch'ung, Korean scholar
- May 5 – Gerberga of Saxony
- Pope John XIV
- Buluggin ibn Ziri, first official ruler of the Zirid dynasty.