From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 986.
|986 by topic|
|Ab urbe condita||1739|
|Chinese calendar||乙酉年 (Wood Rooster)
3682 or 3622
— to —
丙戌年 (Fire Dog)
3683 or 3623
|- Vikram Samvat||1042–1043|
|- Shaka Samvat||907–908|
|- Kali Yuga||4086–4087|
|Japanese calendar||Kanna 2
|Minguo calendar||926 before ROC
|Seleucid era||1297/1298 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1528–1529|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 986.|
- Explorer Bjarni Herjólfsson becomes the first inhabitant of the Old World to sight North America.
- Emperor Ichijō succeeds Emperor Kazan on the throne of Japan.
- March–July – Chi go Pass Campaign: The Song dynasty sends armies on three fronts against the Liao dynasty in the Sixteen Prefectures, but they are defeated on all fronts.
- One of the Four Great Books of Song, the Chinese encyclopedia Finest Blossoms in the Garden of Literature is finished in this year, with a total of 1,000 volumes, representing the work of some 2,200 authors.
- March 2 – Louis V becomes King of the Franks.
- August 17 – Byzantine–Bulgarian wars: Battle of the Gates of Trajan – The Bulgarians defeat the Byzantine Empire forces at the Gate of Trajan, near modern-day Ihtiman, with Byzantine Emperor Basil II barely escaping.
- The de facto ruler of al-Andalus, al-Mansur, continues his effort in the north of the Iberian peninsula; he takes and sacks Coimbra (following which the city is said to have remained deserted for six years).
- Sweyn Forkbeard becomes King of Denmark.
- Battle of Hjörungavágr: Håkon Sigurdsson of Norway defeats the Danish invasion force.
- March 2 – Lothair, King of the Franks (b. 941)
- May 25 – Abd al-Rahman al-Sufi, Muslim astronomer (b. 903)
- Harold I of Denmark
- Cadwallon ab Ieuaf, King of Gwynedd
- Yang Ye, Chinese general of Song dynasty