|Broadcast area||Klang Valley, Perak, Negeri Sembilan, Malacca, Johor, Pahang, South Terengganu, Perak, Southwest Kelantan, Kedah, Perlis, Penang, and Singapore|
|Frequency||98.8 FM (Klang Valley and South Perak)
93.3 FM (Negeri Sembilan)
98.2 FM (Malacca, North Johor)
90.4 FM (Kuantan, Pahang and South Terengganu (Kemaman and Dungun))
99.8 FM (Ipoh, Central Perak, Cameron Highlands and parts of Southwest Kelantan)
101.0 FM (Taiping and Gerik)
96.1 FM (Kedah, Perlis, Langkawi and Pengkalan Hulu)
94.5 FM (Penang)
99.9 FM (South Johor and Singapore)
CH 959 (ABNXcess)
|First air date||1996|
|Owner||Star Publications (M) Bhd.|
988 FM is a Chinese radio station in Malaysia. Its broadcast area covers Peninsular Malaysia (except Kuala Terengganu and Kota Bharu) and Singapore. It is managed by Star Rfm Sdn Bhd, a wholly owned subsidiary of Star Publications (M) Bhd. 988 began broadcasting in 1996 as a trilingual radio station, with 50 percent Chinese content and became a fully-fledged radio station in December 1997.
988 FM is currently one of Malaysia's major Chinese language radio stations, and it is one of five Chinese-language radio stations in the country, after Melody FM began broadcasting in August 2012. The station is targeted at urban and suburban listeners. It is exclusively targeted at professionals, managers and adults.
988 FM's tagline is Sound of colours (友聲有色). 988 FM plays fresh and latest Chinese hits.
The radio station originates back to 1949, as the first commercial cable-transmitted radio stations. In 1989, 49% of the stakes in Rediffusion was acquired by Arab-Malaysian Group. It changed its name to Rediffusion Cable Network in 1991. In 1996, FM transmission was launched as a trilingual service. In December 1997, REDI-FM 98.8 was relaunched as a full-fledged Chinese radio station, ending the monopoly of the government-owned Radio 5 (now Ai FM) as the only Chinese radio station in Malaysia.
- 98.8 FM (Klang Valley and South Perak)
- 93.3 FM (Negeri Sembilan)
- 98.2 FM (Malacca, North Johor)
- 90.4 FM (Kuantan, Pahang and South Terengganu (Kemaman and Dungun))
- 99.8 FM (Ipoh, Central Perak, Cameron Highlands and parts of Southwest Kelantan)
- 101.0 FM (Taiping and Gerik)
- 96.1 FM (Kedah, Perlis, Langkawi and Pengkalan Hulu)
- 94.5 FM (Penang)
- 99.9 FM (South Johor and Singapore)
- 959 CH (ABNXcess)
- 957 CH (HyppTV)
- 最好聼 (Best to Listen， 2009-February 2013)
- 友聲有色 (Sound of colours, 2003-2009; March 2013 – present)
In a 2015 listenership surveys done by Gfk between August and September 2015, 988 FM commands a weekly listenership of 1.7 million, which shows expansion by 30%. 988 FM is the number one Chinese-language station in the Northern region of Peninsular Malaysia (Perak, Kedah, Penang and Perlis).
- Tri-Lingual Radio For Malaysia, Censorship Exemption In Korea. Billboard. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "Star Radio getting louder". The Star (Malaysia). 28 November 2015. Retrieved 29 November 2015.
- Official website (Chinese)