From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Centuries:||9th century – 10th century – 11th century|
|Decades:||960s 970s 980s – 990s – 1000s 1010s 1020s|
|Years:||993 994 995 – 996 – 997 998 999|
|996 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1749|
|Chinese calendar||乙未年 (Wood Goat)
3692 or 3632
— to —
丙申年 (Fire Monkey)
3693 or 3633
|- Vikram Samvat||1052–1053|
|- Shaka Samvat||918–919|
|- Kali Yuga||4097–4098|
|Japanese calendar||Chōtoku 2
|Minguo calendar||916 before ROC
|Seleucid era||1307/1308 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1538–1539|
- March or April – Pope John XV dies before being able to crown Otto III, King of Germany as Holy Roman Emperor. Otto resides in Pavia while waiting for the election of the next Pope.
- May 21 – Sixteen-year-old Otto III is crowned Holy Roman Emperor by his cousin Pope Gregory V.
- October 24 – Hugh Capet, King of France dies and is succeeded by his son Robert II of France.
- November 1 – Emperor Otto III issues a deed to Gottschalk, Bishop of Freising, which is the oldest known document using the name Ostarrîchi (Austria in Old High German).
- In a continuing effort to expend northward, the de facto ruler of al-Andalus, al-Mansur captures the city of Astorga.
- In the duchy of Normandy, peasant revolt against the Scandinavian aristocracy.
- Al-Aziz Billah, fifth Fatimid Caliph in Egypt, dies and is succeeded by his son Al-Hakim bi-Amr Allah.
- The Niujie Mosque is constructed in Beijing.
- The citizens of Tyre rise up in revolt against the Fatimid Caliphate.
- May 3 – Pope Gregory V succeeds Pope John XV as the 138th pope. He was 24-year-old Bruno of Carinthia, grandson of Otto I, Holy Roman Emperor and first cousin of Otto III. He is the first German Pope.
- Drogo of Mantes, count of Valois and the Vexin
- March or April – Pope John XV
- October 24 – Hugh Capet, King of France (b. 938)
- November 20 – Richard I, Duke of Normandy
- Abu Mansoor Nizar al-Aziz Billah, fifth Fatimid Caliph in Egypt
- Li Fang, Chinese scholar and encyclopedist (b. 925)
- Herman I, Count Palatine of Lotharingia
- Arnoux, Mathieu; Christophe Maneuvrier (2003). "Le pays normand. Paysages et peuplement (IXe-XIIIe siècles)". Tabularia.