From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the year 998. For the number, see 998 (number).
|Centuries:||9th century – 10th century – 11th century|
|Decades:||960s 970s 980s – 990s – 1000s 1010s 1020s|
|Years:||995 996 997 – 998 – 999 1000 1001|
|998 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1751|
|Chinese calendar||丁酉年 (Fire Rooster)
3694 or 3634
— to —
戊戌年 (Earth Dog)
3695 or 3635
|- Vikram Samvat||1054–1055|
|- Shaka Samvat||920–921|
|- Kali Yuga||4099–4100|
|Japanese calendar||Chōtoku 4
|Minguo calendar||914 before ROC
|Seleucid era||1309/1310 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1540–1541|
- Otto III retakes the city of Rome and reinstates his cousin, Pope Gregory V, after mutilating and blinding his rival, Antipope John XVI.
- St. Volodimir of Rus founds (or, according to some documents, gives his name to) the city of Volodimir of Wolyn, future capital of the kingdom of Ruthenia Minor (Halych-Wolyn Rus)
- Mahmud of Ghazni wins the Battle of Ghazni and succeeds as the Amir of Ghazni.
- June – Tyre is stormed by the forces of the Fatimid Caliphate, ending a two-year rebellion of its citizens.
- 19 July – The Fatimid army under Jaysh ibn Samsama defeats and kills the Byzantine general Damian Dalassenos at the Battle of Apamea.
- A Benedictine abbey is founded at Sherborne.
- St. Volodimir, Prince of Kiev Rus (modern Ukraine, Russia and Belarus), baptizes his country