||This article may contain excessive, poor, or irrelevant examples. (March 2010)|
|Divisors||1, 3, 9, 11, 33, 99|
99 is the sum of the cubes of three consecutive integers:
- 99 = 23 + 33 + 43
In the National Hockey League, 99 has been the only number retired league-wide, for Wayne Gretzky. The Edmonton Oilers and Los Angeles Kings, the two teams for which he played the bulk of his NHL career, have separately retired the number in his honor.
- The highest jersey number allowed in most major league sports, uniform numbers are limited to 2 digits.
99 is the NBA record for Most Free Throw Attempts in a 7-game series, set by Elgin Baylor of the Los Angeles Lakers in 1962. In the fictional film Major League, Charlie Sheen's character wore the Cleveland Indians #99 uniform.
In rugby union, the 99 call was a strategy devised by British Lions captain Willie John McBride during the squad's tour to South Africa. On a call of "99", each Lions player was expected to physically attack the nearest Springbok; this was a pre-emptive strategy against the Springboks' perceived strategy of physical intimidation.
- 99 is a common price ending in psychological pricing (e.g., $1.99 as opposed to $2.00)
- 99 Names of Allah, the names or attributes of God in the Qur'an
- In The Mighty Ducks, Adam Banks wears the number 99.
- In the United Kingdom and Ireland, a '99' is an ice cream cone with a Cadbury's chocolate flake pressed into the ice cream such that roughly half the flake is visible.
- Agent 99 on the TV show Get Smart, played by Barbara Feldon.
- Toto wrote a song, called "99," in reference to the movie THX-1138
- Ninety-nine is a simple card game with a running total, players dropping out if they would be forced to bring the total above ninety-nine. See Ninety-nine (addition card game).
- In the U.S. Navy, specifically naval aviation operations aboard aircraft carriers, the radio call "99 Aircraft" or simply "99" on certain aircraft radio frequencies means that all aircraft from the same ship, wing, squadron or formation should be alert to the subsequent radio transmission.
- 99 Bottles of Beer is a well-known folk song in the United States and Canada.
- "99 Luftballons" (German Neunundneunzig Luftballons, "99 balloons") is an anti-nuclear protest song by the German band Nena from their 1983 self-titled album.
- "99 Problems" is the third single released by American rapper Jay-Z in 2004 from The Black Album.
- Royal Society of Chemistry - Visual Element Periodic Table
- Denis Guedj, Numbers: The Universal Language, transl. Lory Frankel. New York: Harry N. Abrams (1997): 125.