German release with 1980 tour dates
|Single by Toto|
|from the album Hydra|
|Released||January 4, 1980|
|Length||3:28 (single release)
5:16 (album release)
|Producer(s)||Toto, Tom Knox, James Guthrie|
|Toto singles chronology|
The song was written as a tribute to George Lucas' film THX 1138 and the music video resembles a scene in the movie. In the video, as in the movie scene where the main character (named "THX-1138") is imprisoned, the room is completely white and everyone is wearing a white jumpsuit. Toto Legend, the former official International Toto Fan Club newsletter, reviewed the video:
'99' was predominantly a performance video, though the set design was rather conceptual. Following David Paich's intention regarding the lyrics, about a sterile society in which names are forgotten and love forbidden, the set was sterile white, with various sized sculptured 99's hanging and standing about, and the band was clad in futuristic white jumpsuits. There were some notable shots in this one — keyboard close-ups and an artistic view of Jeff through a transparent drum head, a technique that several popular videos have copied since.
- "99" - (3:28)
- "Hydra" - (5:04)
- Elias, Jason. "Song Review: 99 - Toto". Allmusic. Retrieved March 12, 2010.
- Ryan, Tim (May 7, 2004). "TOTO flies high on tour". Honolulu Star-Bulletin. Retrieved March 12, 2010.
- Hyrdra singles in the Billboard Charts, AllMusicGuide.
- Saldaña, Edmundo García (October 19, 2001). "De 'Africa' al Foro". Reforma (in Spanish). Retrieved March 12, 2010.
- "99". Toto Encyclopedia. The Official Toto Website. April 28, 2007. Retrieved March 12, 2010.