|Industry||social networking service|
|Founded||2010, Launch March 2011|
|Stephan Uhrenbacher (Chairman, Founder)
Roman Bach (Co-Founder)
It was launched by German internet entrepreneur Stephan Uhrenbacher – founder of Qype, and former head of northern European operations for lastminute.com. The site is a European competitor to the US-based Airbnb. In 2014 Roman Bach was named CEO; he vacated that post in April, 2016 . Uhrenbacher moved to the advisory board.
The founders secured funding from venture capital fund E.ventures (CityDeal/Groupon) and launched 9flats.com in February 2011 with an inventory of 5,000 places. The company was based in nine different locations around the world, but is now headquartered in Hamburg.
In May 2011, 9flats secured another round of investment from venture capital funds Redpoint Ventures (HomeAway), ProFounder (ex-lastminute.com) and Greycroft Partners, bringing the total funding to US$10 million. In January 2012, 9flats completed a round of funding led by T-Venture, the venture capital arm of Deutsche Telekom AG. This round included Redpoint Ventures and E-Venture Capital Partners (Hamburg).
In late 2011, 9flats became the first well-known European or North American company in the social travel space to open an Asian office in Singapore, led by VP of Asia Ng Wei Leen, establishing a presence ahead of global competitors like Airbnb.
In 2014 9flats announced that it is the first profitable player in the Social Travel Industry.
In November 2014 9flats introduced a new payment option: book now, pay later.
- Couts, Andrew. "Travel hotel-free by finding unique lodging online". Digital Trends. Digital Trends. Retrieved 21 March 2011.
- Solon, Olivia (17 May 2011). "9flats launches in UK, lets you rent your spare room to the web". wired.co.uk. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- Palmer, Maija (28 October 2011). "Berlin emerges as technology challenger". Financial Times. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- Seiderer, Sophia (16 March 2012). "Schlafplatzvermittlung im Internet: Von Sofa bis Penthouse". Die Welt. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- Uhrenbacher, Stephan. "9flats.com". Stephan Uhrenbacher blog. Stephan Uhrenbacher. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- Bradshaw, Tim (31 May 2011). "Airbnb moves 'aggressively' into Europe". Financial Times. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- Bernau, Varinia (12 January 2012). "Was die Telekom mit Groupon und 9flats vorhat". Süddeutsche Zeitung. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- 9flats. "9flats LinkedIn Overview". 9flats LinkedIn page. LinkedIn. Retrieved 11 April 2012.
- Hall, Max (11 January 2012). "9flats gets multi-million Deutsche Telekom funding". www.venturevillage.eu. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- "WIT - WEB IN TRAVEL : 9flats banks on security and customer service to make it big in Asia". classic.webintravel.com. Retrieved 2015-09-23.
- "Airbnb sets up Singapore office". SG Magazine Online. Retrieved 2015-09-23.
- Vigna, Paul (20 November 2013). "Bitcoin Couple Travels the World Using Virtual Cash". The Wall Street Journal.