|Born||1949 (age 69–70)|
|Known for||Co-founded Alimentation Couche-Tard|
|Net worth||US$3.9 billion (April 2019) |
|Board member of||Atrium Innovations|
Alain Bouchard OC OQ (born 1949) is a Canadian billionaire businessman. He is co-founder and chairman of Alimentation Couche-Tard, and also serves on the board of directors of Atrium Innovations. Both corporations are based in Quebec.
Alain Bouchard was born in Chicoutimi, Quebec and was influenced by his father, Jean-Paul Bouchard, going bankrupt when Bouchard was a boy. Bouchard's father owned and managed a road-construction business in Quebec. When his father's company went bankrupt, the family moved to a mobile home in the village of Micoua.
At nineteen, Bouchard worked as a stock boy in his brother's Perrette milk store and in 1969 was hired by Perrette's owner to scout and set up new stores. At age 24, Bouchard began working for the grocer, Provigo, and given the responsibility of implementing a new convenience store concept, branded as Provi-Soir. In the late 1970s, Bouchard worked independently as a retailer before founding Alimentation Couche-Tard in 1980. Serving as Chief Executive Officer of Alimentation Couche-Tard from 1980 to 2014, Bouchard led the company as it expanded from one convenience store to more than 12,500 convenience stores around the world. Maintaining a decentralized organization structure and using the best ideas found in the organization has been noted by Bouchard as factors in Couche-Tard's success. In 2003 the company acquired U.S. based Circle K.
Organizations and recognition
Bouchard was a member of the board of Québecor from 1997 to 2009. With a net worth of US$3.9 billion in 2019, Bouchard is in the top 10 of richest people in the province of Quebec and top 25 in Canada and was named Canada's Outstanding CEO of the Year for 2012. He is the recipient of an International Horatio Alger Award.
Bouchard is married and a father of four children Jonathan, Karinne, Camille and Rose.
- "Forbes profile: Alain Bouchard". forbes.com. Forbes Media LLC. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- "Gala Raises More Than $1 Million for Red Cross". pressreader.com. Pressreader. Missing or empty
- "Quebec corner store king Alain Bouchard vows to pursue journey of global conquest". Financial Post. Retrieved April 12, 2017.
- "Couche-Tard's Alain Bouchard named 'Outstanding CEO of the Year'". Financial Post. Retrieved April 9, 2017.
- "Couche-Tard's Alain Bouchard has led his retail chain around the world, but he's not done yet". Financial Post. Retrieved April 12, 2017.
- "Exclusive: One on One With Alain Bouchard". CSP Magazine. Retrieved April 9, 2017.
- "Business leader with egoless ethic". The Chronicle Journal. Retrieved May 15, 2017.
- "Couche-Tard retiring Mac's moniker, rebranding as Circle K". Retrieved 2019-04-30.
- "Canada's Richest People 2016: The Top 25 Richest Canadians". Canadian Business - Your Source For Business News. Retrieved 2015-11-22.
|This biography about a Canadian businessperson is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|