This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
assisted by Tarek Salhany
|Subject||Politics, climate change, human rights, economics|
|Published||2011 (Tate Publishing Ltd)|
|Media type||Hardback PLC with exposed greyboards
B6 pocketbook: 176 x 125mm
in colour and black and white
@earth is a 2011 book made by the London born (and based) photomontage artist Peter Kennard with Lebanese artist Tarek Salhany. It is a photo-essay told through photomontage with seven chapters exposing the current state of the Earth, the conditions of life on it and the need to resist injustice. It was released on 1 May 2011 by Tate Publishing.
Apart from the title @earth (which is also in different languages on its back cover) the pocket book contains no words and its story is told in sequences of constructed images.
@earth combines images created digitally over the preceding two years by Kennard with Salhany especially for the project, with Kennard's earlier darkroom based photomontages (spanning over 40 years of work) some of which are part of the Tate Permanent Collection. They have been recontextualised for the book. The authors met when Kennard taught Salhany at the Byam Shaw School of Art in London.
Naomi Klein, the author of No Logo and The Shock Doctrine, said of @earth: "This book perfectly captures the brutal asymmetries of our age: heavy weaponry trained on broken people, all-seeing technologies and disappearing identities, perpetually exhaling industry and an asphyxiating planet. If there's a word that's worth a thousand pictures, it's @earth."
@earth was launched during a 3-day event called shooting@earth at Black Rat Projects in London, together with a display of artworks by War Boutique. The centrepiece was a paintball shooting gallery where visitors could fire at silhouetted figures of city bankers. Starting concurrently, an exhibition of works from the book was held at Raven Row in London. The exhibition included prints of the digital works pasted on the gallery walls by dr.d as well as Kennard's earlier montages
- Borromeo, Leah (14 June 2011). "Peter Kennard mumbles at Leah Borromeo". The Comment Factory. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- Kennard, Matt (6 June 2011). "Peter Kennard on @earth, Giacometti, Heartfield, Banksy, and more". The Comment Factory. Archived from the original on 25 June 2011. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- Borromeo, Leah (18 May 2011). "Eye blog » Political photomontage Noel Douglas on Peter Kennard's 'At Earth' at Raven Row – last few days". Blog.eyemagazine.com. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- "Tate Collection | Peter Kennard". Tate.org.uk. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- "Stimulus Respond – Ritual". Retrieved July 26, 2011.
- "Tate Channel: TateShots: Peter Kennard studio visit". Channel.tate.org.uk. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- "TATE ETC. - Europe's largest art magazine". Tate.org.uk. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- "Press Releases | @earth by Peter Kennard (Tate Publishing)". Tate. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- Patrick Nguyen Viewpoints: Peter Kennard + War Boutique — ‘shooting@earth’ @ Black Rat Projects, Arrested Motion, 10 May 2011. Retrieved 7 November 2011.
- "Raven Row — Peter Kennard. At Earth". Ravenrow.org. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- Aesthetica (5 May 2011). "Aesthetica Magazine Blog: Predominantly Political Art? Peter Kennard, At Earth, Raven Row, London". Aestheticamagazine.blogspot.com. Retrieved 9 October 2011.
- Gabrial Coxhead "Peter Kennard: At Earth", Time Out London, 6 May 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-09.