A&M Octone Records
|A&M Octone Records|
|Parent company||Universal Music Group|
|Founded||2000 (Octone Records)
2007 (relaunched as A&M/Octone)
|Status||Defunct (Acquired by Interscope Geffen A&M)|
|Distributor(s)||Interscope-Geffen-A&M (in the US)
Universal Music Group (international)
|Country of origin||United States|
|Location||New York City, New York, US|
The label represented a merger of Interscope-Geffen-A&M's A&M Records label with Octone Records. A full-service artist development label, A&M/Octone operated music publishing, merchandising and touring entities – in addition to specializing in recorded music.
After six successful years of operation, in September 2013, Octone initiated its buy/sell rights in the joint venture, resulting in Interscope-Geffen-A&M purchasing Octone Records' 50% interest in A&M/Octone, absorbing and restructuring the artist roster into Interscope operations in 2014 as announced.
Launched in 2000, Octone Records was founded by CEO/President James Diener and distributed through Sony BMG. After successful signing, release, marketing and promotion on Octone, artists were given the option of upstreaming to RCA Music Group, via a joint-venture between the two companies. Upon launch, Diener and Octone Records were also well known in the music industry for their entrepreneurial private-equity financing model.
In February 2007, Interscope-Geffen-A&M partnered with Octone Records to relaunch the A&M label, headed by James Diener and called A&M/Octone Records with worldwide distribution handled by parent Universal Music Group. The existing Octone roster was transferred to the A&M/Octone label and all new artist signings were made under the A&M/Octone joint venture.
- James Diener, CEO/President
- David Boxenbaum, General Manager/Chief Operating Officer
- Ben Berkman, EVP/Head of Promotion
- Rome Thomas, Senior Vice President Sales & Artist Development
- Nina Webb, Head Of Marketing
- Roi Hernandez, Head of Creative Services & Electronic A&R
- Yu-Ting Lin, Vice President A&R Admin & Label Operations
Former Recording artists
- Maroon 5
- Hollywood Undead
- Kat Graham
- The Hives
- The Knocks
- Bombay Bicycle Club
- Hunter Hunted
- Drop City Yacht Club
- Kevin Hammond
- As Fast As
- Dropping Daylight
- Paper Tongues
- Michael Tolcher
- Miss Willie Brown
- "Interscope Geffen A&M Acquires Remaining Share of A&M/Octone Records". Billboard.
- "Labels - Universal Music". universalmusic.com.
- Nancy, Hass (April 16, 2007). "Sounds Like Money". Portfolio. Archived from the original on 18 March 2010. Retrieved February 8, 2010.
- Todd, Martens (February 20, 2007). "Interscope Geffen A&M Shifting To Octone". Billboard. Retrieved February 8, 2010.
- "Flyleaf's Kristen May: Ready to Begin (Again)". newreleasetuesday.com.
- A&M/Octone Records official website
- Octone Records Harvard Business School case study
- May 2008 Billboard Magazine interview
- June 2009 Los Angeles Times interview
- July 2009 Music Business Registry interview
- January 2010 CNN/Money video profile
- January 2010 Fortune Magazine feature
- March 2010 NY Enterprise Report cover story
- September 2010 Wall Street Journal "Walkabout NY" Interview
- A&M/Octone Records - Harvard Business School Case Study Part II
- November 2010 Fast Company on A&M/Octone Records, K'Naan & Coca Cola
- January 2011 MIDEM Convention panel in Cannes, Frances w/James Diener discussing K'Naan/Coca Cola World Cup campaign & A&M/Octone artist development