|Grid position||181/243 PAL|
|Name meaning||El Azeir, Ezra|
Uzeir (Arabic: عزير; Hebrew: עֻזֵיר) is an Arab village in northern Israel. Located near Nazareth Illit in the Lower Galilee, it falls under the jurisdiction of al-Batuf Regional Council. In 2016 it had a population of 3,080.
It was mentioned in the Ottoman defter for the year 1555-6, as Mezraa land, (that is, cultivated land), called ‘Uzayr, located in the Nahiya of Tabariyya of the Liwa of Safad. The land was designated as Timar land.
In 1875, the French explorer Victor Guérin reached the village and described it as consisting of about 20 houses on the side of a hill. A few old columns were remains after an ancient site which had preceded the present village. A Muslim Maqam with two small domes, dedicated to "Neby A'ouzeir" was close by. In Palestine Exploration Fund's 1881 Survey of Western Palestine, the village (called El Azeir) was described as:
A stone village at the foot of the hill. The plain to the north is cultivated with cotton, barley, etc. There are about 150 Moslems in the village. Water is supplied by cisterns in the village, and a tank.
A population list from about 1887 showed that el Azeir had about 45 Muslim inhabitants.
British Mandate era
In 1945 the population was 150 Muslims while the total land area was 766 dunams, according to an official land and population survey. Of this, 737 dunams were allocated for cereals, while 7 dunams were classified as built-up areas.
State of Israel
- "List of localities, in Alphabetical order" (PDF). Israel Central Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved September 26, 2017.
- Palmer, 1881, p. 124
- Cinamon, 2012, ‘Uzeir, West
- Rohde, 1979, p. 101
- Karmon, 1960, p. 166.
- Robinson and Smith, 1841, vol. 3, Appendix 2, p. 132
- Guérin, 1880, pp. 364 ff
- Conder and Kitchener, 1881, SWP I, p. 362
- Schumacher, 1888, p. 184
- Barron, 1923, Table XI, Sub-district of Nazareth, p. 38
- Mills, 1932, p. 76
- Department of Statistics, 1945, p. 8
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 63
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 110
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 160
- Alexandre, Yardenna (2001). "'Uzeir" (113). Hadashot Arkheologiyot – Excavations and Surveys in Israel.
- Barron, J. B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922. Government of Palestine.
- Conder, Claude Reignier; Kitchener, H. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology. 1. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Cinamon, Gilad (2012-03-15). "'Uzeir, West" (124). Hadashot Arkheologiyot – Excavations and Surveys in Israel.
- Cinamon, Gilad (2013-12-04). "'Uzeir, Survey of Har Tur'an" (125). Hadashot Arkheologiyot – Excavations and Surveys in Israel.
- Department of Statistics (1945). Village Statistics, April, 1945. Government of Palestine.
- Guérin, Victor (1880). Description Géographique Historique et Archéologique de la Palestine (in French). 3: Galilee, pt. 1. Paris: L'Imprimerie Nationale.
- Hadawi, Sami (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.
- Karmon, Y. (1960). "An Analysis of Jacotin's Map of Palestine" (PDF). Israel Exploration Journal. 10 (3,4): 155–173; 244–253.
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas. Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Rhode, Harold (1979). Administration and Population of the Sancak of Safed in the Sixteenth Century. Columbia University.
- Robinson, Edward; Smith, Eli (1841). Biblical Researches in Palestine, Mount Sinai and Arabia Petraea: A Journal of Travels in the year 1838. 3. Boston: Crocker & Brewster.
- Schumacher, G. (1888). "Population list of the Liwa of Akka". Quarterly statement - Palestine Exploration Fund. 20: 169–191.