Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University
|దామోదరం సంజీవయ్య జాతీయ న్యాయ విశ్వవిద్యాలయం|
Logo of DS National Law University
यतो धर्मस्ततो जयः
Motto in English
|Act Dharma - Thus get victory|
|Type||Public, National Law University|
|Affiliation||UGC, Bar Council of India, Higher Learning Accreditation Commission of Texas|
|Chancellor||Hon'ble Mr. Justice Ramesh Ranganathan|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. (Dr.) Kesava Rao Vurrakula|
|Dean||Dr. P. Sridevi (Academic Affairs & Research), Dr. Nandini C.P. (Examinations)|
|Location||Nyayaprastha, Sabbavaram, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India
Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University (DSNLU) is located at Sabbavaram,Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India constituted by the DSNLU Act, 2008. It offers 5 year integrated B.A LLB. (Hons.) course to eligible Undergraduate students based on the Common Law Admission Test centralized admission process. Integrated LL.B LL.M, PhD and LL.D courses are also conducted by the university. The university is housed at Nyayaprastha in Sabbavaram with 15.5 acres built up area in the first phase. The establishing Act of 2008 of the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly (Act No. 32 of 2008), had provided the main campus at Visakhapatnam and two centers, at Kadapa and Nizamabad. These centres were subsequently removed by the DSNLU (Amendment) Act, 2016. The University is fully residential.
Motto and logo of the university
It is a famous saying of Vyasa in his Maha Bharata. It was repeated several times. In the first instance Dhritarashtra told this to Lord Krishna while smoothly rejecting his proposal to give the share of land to Pandavas (Udyoga Parva 37.09). In the Anusasanika Parva, Bhishma also repeated this line while recollecting what he told Duryodhana at that time (uktavAnasmi durbudhim mandam duryodhanam tadA yotah Krishnah tato dharmah yato dharmah tato jayah). Same line was recollected and reported to Lord Krihsna by Gandhari in Striparva (17.06). Like this it was repeated several times in different contexts. We may translate it as : act Dharma – thus get victory. It is the ultimate message of Mahabharata, the ever great epic. The Poorna Kumbha is a symbol of plentyness and a symbol of welcome to new thoughts and ideas. Hence this logo in its totality represents the overall development of human mind with plentyness of purity, knowledge and Dharma.
DSNLU conducts teaching in law and allied disciplines, with emphasis on practical training of the students in technical skills of the profession through Moot Courts, Seminars, Project Reports, Expert Lectures, work and Interns in law chambers, Court visits and conducting Legal aid and Legal literacy camps in parts of the country, the most recent one being "Abhyeti" conducted in Bhopal.
This is the only National Law University to enter into MoUs with other National Law Universities, which are:
- National Law School of India University, Bangalore
- The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata
- Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala
- Chanakya National Law University, Patna
The Universities that have agreed in principle for exchange are:
- National Law University, Delhi
- NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad
- Institute of Company Secretaries of India, New Delhi
- Centurion University of Technology and Management, Odisha
The foreign MoU is with Vistula University (University of Economics and Computer Sciences in Warsaw), Poland.
Admissions to DSNLU are made through the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT), which serves as the qualifying examination for the university. Out of a total of 120 seats, 60 are reserved for students from the state of Andhra Pradesh, 48 for all India General category and 12 for NRI and foreign national candidates.
The first national moot court competition of DSNLU was held on February 15 & 16, 2014. The second national moot court competition was held by the University on March 6 to 8, 2015. The third national moot was conducted in the last week of February, 2017. Along with the national moot, the University conducted a statewide moot for the students of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh, the 1st D.V. Subba Rao Memorial Moot Court competition on April 11 and 12, 2015 in honour of D. V. Subba Rao, an advocate and legal luminary of Visakhapatnam.
There are presently the following societies operated by the students in DSNLU, along with a faculty convener:
- CARDS (Centre for Advanced Research in Dispute Settlement)
- MAS (Moot and Advocacy Society)
- SoLiD (Society for Literature and Debate)
- SANCTUS (Society for Sports and Cultural Activities)
- RCC(Recruitment Coordination Committee)
- Legal Aid Cell
- Website Committee
The government appointed Prof. A. Lakshminath as the first Chancellor, Y. Satyanarayana as the First Vice-Chancellor and Amancherla Subrahmanyam as the first Registrar of the university. After the DSNLU Amendment Act, 2016 had been notified, the Hon'ble Chief Justice of the High Court of Andhra Pradesh & Telangana is the ex-officio Chancellor of the University. The current chancellor of DSNLU is Hon'ble Justice Ramesh Ranganathan and Vice-Chancellor I/C is Prof. V. Kesava Rao  and the Registrar-in-charge is Dr. Dayananda Murthy C. P.
|No.||Vice chancellor||Took office||Left office||Milestones during term as VC|
|01||Y. Satyanarayana||2008||2011||Founder VC of DSNLU|
|02||R. G. Babu Bhagavath Kumar||2011||2015||Founded DSNLU National Moot Court competition • Established MoUs with other NLUs • Started overseeing construction of new campus at Sabbavaram • Presided over first convocation in December 2014|
|04||E.A. Narayana||February 2016||June 2016|
|05||V. Kesava Rao||2016||Incumbent|
The faculty of DSNLU includes faculties from various National Law Schools like National Law School of India University, Gujarat National Law University, NALSAR, The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, National Law University, Jodhpur, Chanakya National Law University, Hidayatullah National Law University, Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia National Law University.
In addition to the permanent staff, eminent jurists, judges, lawyers and academicians serve as guest faculty. Members of the World Intellectual Property Organization, Tata Institute of Social Sciences and many other eminent personalities take guest lectures.
Library is the sine qua non for modern legal education of global standards and for research. These are the days where lot of information and case law is available through soft copies of DVD/CD and net. DSNLU has started building up the library in a big way by subscribing to online journals like SCC, Manupatra and already procured hard copies of All India Reporter back volumes from 1950, apart from other journals.
- Bare Act No. 32 of 2008 Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly
- 'Campus Notes' - Times Of India dt. 29-12-2013 & 'Bhopal and beyond' - Hindustan Times dt. 29-12-2013
- A, Anuj (May 12, 2016). "Breaking: DSNLU's State reservation just went down to 50%". BarAndBench. Retrieved 16 May 2016.
- "Three-day national moot court competition gets under way". The Hindu. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- "National Moot Court competitions begin". The Times Of India. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- Special Correspondent (6 March 2015). "'Take moot court seriously'". Visakhapatnam. The Hindu. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- "Moot Court at Damodaram Sanjivayya National Law University". Visakhapatnam: Times of India. Times News Network. Feb 26, 2017.
- Staff Reporter (11 April 2015). "DV showered with praise". Visakhapatnam. The Hindu. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- "Official DSNLU Societies Webpage". Societies. DSNLU. Retrieved 2014-05-24.
- "Dr. Dayananda Murthy C P". DSNLU. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "Dr. S. Rama Rao". DSNLU. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- Official website DSNLU website