A.T. Still University School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona
|President||Craig M. Phelps, D.O., FAOASM|
5850 E Still Cir (Baseline & Recker),
|Campus||22 acres (8.9 ha)|
A.T. Still University School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) is an osteopathic medical school in the United States granting the Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree. Established in 2007, ATSU-SOMA is located at the Mesa, Arizona campus of A.T. Still University. A.T. Still University (ATSU) is the original founding institution of osteopathic healthcare, established in 1892 by Andrew Taylor Still in Kirksville, Missouri.
The campus operates in a portion of a 100,000-square-foot (9,300 m2) building on the 22-acre (89,000 m2) campus of A.T. Still University in Mesa. The campus is the anchor of the Arizona Health & Technology Park, a 132-acre (0.53 km2) education, healthcare, and technology triangle owned by ATSU and Vanguard Health Systems. The master plan for the new park includes hospitals, long-term care facilities, professional offices, and product development research facilities.
SOMA uses the Clinical Presentation Educational Model which teaches that there are about 120 different ways that a patient can present themself to a physician. The teaching method was based on a method developed in 1994 by the University of Calgary. Basic sciences are coupled with clinical sciences so that the students have a more comprehensive and practical foundation for each medical discipline. The curriculum design emphasizes clinical competencies which allows students to enter residency programs with greater experience with chronic disease than students educated in the majority of tertiary care-oriented academic health centers.
Community Health Center Locations
SOMA is unique in that the first year is spent at the Mesa campus and the last three years at one of many community health centers. As of 2016, SOMA offers 12 community health center opportunities in such locations as:
- Unity Health Care - Washington, DC
- Waianae Coast Comprehensive Health Center - Wai'anae, Oahu, HI
- Beaufort-Jasper-Hampton Comprehensive Health Services – Ridgeland, South Carolina
- Health Point (previously Community Health Centers of King County) – Suburban Seattle, Washington
- El Rio Community Health Center – Tucson, Arizona
- Family Healthcare Network – Tulare County, California
- HealthSource of Ohio – Mt Orab, Ohio
- North Country Healthcare – Flagstaff, Arizona
- Northwest Regional Primary Care Association – Portland, Oregon
- Adelante Healthcare – Phoenix, Arizona
- Sunset Park Family Health Center – Brooklyn, New York
- Near North Health Service Corporation - Chicago, Illinois
- Douglas Wood, D.O., Ph.D (Founding Dean-2007-2012)
- Thomas E. McWilliams (Interim Dean-2012)
- Kay Kalousek (2012–2015)
- Jeffrey Morgan (educator) (2015-current)
- "Faculty & Staff". A.T. Still University.
- "Academic Fast Facts - School of Osteopathic Medicine - A.T. Still University". Atsu.edu. Retrieved 2012-05-26.
- "A.T. Still University–School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona (ATSU-SOMA)" (PDF). American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine.
- "ATSU-SOMA receives full accreditation status". ATSU News Releases. 1 June 2011. Archived from the original on 23 August 2011. Retrieved 9 June 2011.
- "Entries tagged with "Arizona Health & Technology Park" » » News Releases – A.T. Still University". News.atsu.edu. Archived from the original on 2012-03-22. Retrieved 2012-05-26.
- Chen, Candace; Mullan, Fitzhugh (June 2009). "The separate osteopathic medical education pathway: uniquely addressing national needs. Point" (PDF). Academic Medicine. 84 (6): 695. doi:10.1097/ACM.0b013e3181a3dd28. PMID 19474535. Archived from the original (PDF) on 31 July 2010. Retrieved 3 November 2012.
- "Faculty Interview: ATSU-School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona". The Student Doctor Network. 10 November 2008. Archived from the original on 23 June 2011. Retrieved 17 April 2011.
- "Student D.O. Day at ATSU-SOMA Flyer" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-26.
- Handout, SOMA, October 2010
- "Kalousek appointed dean of ATSU-SOMA » News Releases – A.T. Still University". News.atsu.edu. Archived from the original on 2013-05-14. Retrieved 2013-01-25.